 Pirates / 2917
Re: SNOT Fractional Offsets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build, lugnet.pirates
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 13:27:13 GMT

In lugnet.build, Paul Hanson writes:

(2)  Is it possible to make these offsets (0.5, 0.1, 0.3) without the use of
1x2 center-stud tiles?  I'm trying to think if there's a small brick or
piece that serves the same role as the 1x1 side stud headlight piece, but
with a 1/10 stud offset instead of 1/5.

Try this part (http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/4081a). I seem to remember
someone using it for a 1/10 stud offset in a 2-wide train car. There are 2
versions of this part, and I think the difference is in the thickness of the
center ring, which would affect how it would be used.

I checked these out last night.  The new version, with the thin center ring,
results in a flush surface.  That is, the center ring is 1/2 plate thick, so
that a tile on either side ends up flush with the 1x1 plate.

The old ones, however, have a center ring that is the same thickness as a
plate.  As a result, there is still 0.75 plate thicknesses on either side of
the center ring.  Therefore, a tile attached here projects 1/4 of a plate past
the 1x1, or 0.1 stud!  It works!

As a followup to my own inquiry, is the bracket on the "1x2 plate w/ 1x4
bracket" (http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/2436) 1/10 of a stud thick?  An
easy way to check this would be if the bracket, plus one plate, plus one tile
is the same thickness as a brick is wide.  Anybody care to check this?  A
1/10 stud offset of this design would give you, by extension, 0.1, 0.5, and
0.9 stud offsets ...

I have to correct what I said above ... if the bracket plus a plate plus a tile
is the same width as a brick, that means the bracket is 0.2 studs thick, not
0.1 studs.

Like I said, no parts in front of me - but I'm pretty sure that this part
does work like you describe (bracket + plate + tile = brick).

I checked this last night also - you're right.  The bracket is 0.2 studs thick,
or 1/2 plate thick.

Therefore, for SNOT boat building, one can get some pretty tight SNOT fidelity
using 0.1 stud increments on the hull construction (and some example pieces
that could be used to achieve this):

0.0 studs - http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/30414

0.1 studs - http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/4081a plus a 1x1 plate mounted
sideways on the ring

0.2 studs - http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/4070 plus 1 plate or
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/2436

0.3 studs - http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/3794 plus
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/30414 plus 2 plates

0.4 studs - http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/30414 plus 1 plate

0.5 studs - http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/4081a plus a 1x1 plate mounted
sideways on the ring, plus 1 more plate

0.6 studs - http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/4070 plus a plate or
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/2436 plus 1 plate

0.7 studs - http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/3794 plus
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/30414 plus 3 plates

0.8 studs - http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/30414 plus 2 plates

0.9 studs - http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/4081a plus a 1x1 plate mounted
sideways on the ring, plus 2 plates

1.0 studs - same as 0.0 studs

I still haven't been able to figure out how to get 0.3 studs and 0.7 studs
without using a "1x2 tile with center stud"
(http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/3794).  The problem with part 3794 in this
application is that it eats up valuable wall space ... thoughts?  ideas?
solutions?

-s