 Pirates / 2700
  Contemporary Pirate Fiction

Soooo, anybody have any good recommendations? A decent read is Wilbur Smith's "Bird of Prey", or something like that. IIRC, it's set along the African Coast. My favorite is, by far, Tim Powers' "On Stranger Tides". I *love* this book, consider it (...) (22 years ago, 1-Jun-02, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Contemporary Pirate Fiction

(...) Shaun, I've always enjoyed "Howard Pyles Book of Pirates" for enjoyable reading. His pictures are super too. He has another version of pirate stories entitled "Tales of Pirates and Buccaneers"! I believe that there are some stories repeated in (...) (22 years ago, 1-Jun-02, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Contemporary Pirate Fiction

Shaun, Classical fiction- *my* absolute favorite pirate story is Rafael Sabatini's "Captain Blood" (great movie too), "The Sea-Hawk" is very good too and yes, of course "Treasure Island" by Robert Louis Stevenson. Contemporary fiction- George (...) (22 years ago, 2-Jun-02, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Contemporary Pirate Fiction

(...) Not really piratical itself, but in the period and great fun for me was the Hornblower saga: (URL) interest always leaned to the more military side of things :-) The recent English set of telemovies was pretty cool too, for those looking for a (...) (22 years ago, 4-Jun-02, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Contemporary Pirate Fiction

(...) I agree whole heartedly Richard! The Hornblower stuff fits in great with Lego pirates! The telemovies were great inspiration for creating lego MOCs! Same goes for the recent "Mummy" pics for the Adventurers theme (but I'm getting off topic (...) (22 years ago, 4-Jun-02, to lugnet.pirates)