 Pirates / 251
Re: Two Year Before the Mast
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 06:23:25 GMT

Bruce Schlickbernd wrote in message ...
Finally got one for the price I was holding out for (under $100).  There • was
much rejoicing.

Three cheers! I got my second for $50 (though it is missing several pieces).

So, was I an idiot for holding out that long?  Will I be so amazed once it
arrives that I'll immediately splurge for whatever the asking price is on a
SES?  Would have been worth the extra money to not have to clean the darn
thing (looked dusty to me)?

No. While it is true that I spent more for my first BSB, I also was patient,
and waited until I could get one for a price which I thought was reasonable.
My first came from Tom Schlosser. He had posted that one of his auctions was
reaching going once state. I saw a BSB at $100. I fired off a quick note to
Tom to find out how much above the bid price it would cost me to actually
conclude the transaction (shipping, handling, exchange fees etc). He fired
back an amount, and I submitted a bid taking that into account, and won.

It is interesting, while the SES seems to go for more, I think that the BSB
is in general a better ship, though the SES is close. If I were you, I would
continue my patience. I did chose to pay a little more for an SES than I
paid for my BSB, but I wanted to complete my collection (that was the last
large pirate set I didn't have).

You might still have had to clean the ship (unless you got a NIB or MISB).

I wish Steve would get the GM charts published. I also need to try and line
up some people to play the game. I also need to get more minifigs. If I use
all my ships, I may have to impress the castle, town, space, etc. minifigs
just to be able to crew all the ships.

Frank