 Pirates / 1986
Re: What does this mean?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2001 21:40:32 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Skip Robinson writes:
In reference to the question about TLG bringing back the Pirate theme, they
did bring back the castle theme and now I am seeing lots of those sets on
clearance at TRU,

I don't remember Castle ever going away. It got really bad during the fright
knight era, and the Ninja collection was an improvement on the FK's, but
There wasn't a year when there were no castle offerings was there?
There are also a lot of older Star Wars sets on clearance at TRU.  It
doesn't mean they didn't sell enough units to be successful, just that the
store needs to make shelf space for newer offerings (specifically Harry
Potter and Jack Stone)

if they bring something back it needs to sell a LOT

Not necessarily, it just has to sell a majority of what is produced.  The
Rock Raiders sets flew off the shelves initially, but like the Star Wars
Episode 1 fiasco, there was an overproduction of sets, so everyone could get
what they wanted right away.  In My opinion, Lego got all the money right
away instead of over two years.  It looks like the same thing is happening
with the soccer sets as well

(please refrain from throwing veggies at me for telling what I feel to be
the truth!)

No tomatoes here, I actually agree with most of your reasoning. I do think
that the folks at Lego direct should be able to understand a few of these
supply and demand issues better than us, and then address them, so as to
make all of their product lines more successful.

Reissues won't fail because we won't buy them (we'll buy them, even at
unreasonable prices) they'll fail if Lego makes too many of them.  Jon