 Pirates / 1587
Re: Washing Pirate Sails?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 17:49:34 GMT

paul ferguson wrote:

Does anyone have any recommendations on what to do or NOT do
to clean pirate ship sails?

I've acquired some used ones from various sources that are
really dirty, as well as wrinkled, and I'd like to know how
people clean these.  Are the colors reasonably "fast" or do they
run?  In addition, has anyone experimented with putting the
starch back into wrinkled/washed sails, and if so, what worked
or didn't?

I had thought of hand washing in cold water with Woolite, but
haven't tried it yet.

I have washed with liquid dish soap and gotten good results. If they are
smoky smelling it may be worth using an anti-bacterial liquid hand soap
though I haven't tried this. If you dry the sails on a flat surface
(like a towel draped over a table) they will come out relatively flat,
but you can also iron them. I have done so using a fairly low setting
without any damage, one could probably use a medium setting also, I just
haven't tried, I'm just patient with the iron. Ironing results are very
good, eliminating all the wrinkles. I haven't used it yet, but a fabric
stores you can get an anti-fraying treatment which is basically a glue
type of deal. I need to use the bottle Sheree Rosenkrantz gave me as I
have several sails which are starting to fray.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com