 Pirates / 1189
Re: Pirate fleet
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates, lugnet.gaming
Date:
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 14:46:59 GMT

I think I'm somewhere around 100 "hull classes" (if this sounds like Greek to
onlookers, we are talking in terms of Steve Jackson's Pirate Game).  Almost all
of it built at one point, but much lying in ruins (son and friends) at the
moment.  I suppose I could scrounge together another 10 or so classes.  My ship
buying has come to a complete halt - I doubt I could transport the entire fleet
all at once.  I just acquire parts as convenient for customizing.  Oh, I'll
pick up a 2nd BSB if the price is right, and a SES one of these days, but if I
do, I'll probably sell off a RBR.

I don't have the 600 crew needed for all those ships unless I draft a couple of
hundred castle figures, but I've laid in spare morions, scarf-hats, and
tricorns along with weapons.  There's something satisfying about a trio of
pirate cutters crewed by Wolfpack figures.  I pick up the odd pirate lot of
figures, but I'm concentrating more on acquiring castle figs (more
transportable).  I don't need 30 actual castles to game with.  :-)

Bruce

In lugnet.pirates, Frank Filz writes:
After seeing a request for pirate ship parts in buy-sell-trade, I  decided I'd • inventory my pirate parts, so here is what I have:

Built ships:

1 narrow cutter
4 6277 cutters
3 like 6277 cutters
1 black brig
1 6250
3 6268
3 6271
3 6274
2 6280
2 6285 (1 missing some parts)
1 RSB (6289 + 1 extra center, built like BSB w/BSB sails)
1 6286
1 6289

(total is 77 hull classes)

Sitting in boxes or bags:

1 6268
2 6280
1 6286
3 6289

(total is 33 hull classes)

Contents of my box of hulls:

unknown quantity of cutter and brig parts (tons)
4 sets brown 16 wide bow/stern
1 set  red/dk grey 16 wide bow/stern
6 sets brown/dk grey 12 wide bow/stern (+2 extra sterns for some reason)
4 sets dk grey/block 12 wide bow/stern
3 sets white/blue 12 wide bow/stern
7 16 wide brown center sections
2 16 wide red center sections
7 12 wide brown center sections
4 12 wide white center sections

(37 hull classes in 12 wide, approx 26 hull classes in 16 wide (1))

So it looks like I could field close to 200 hull classes of ships (possibly • more depending on how many cutters and brigs I actually
manage).

You can see why I've stopped buying ships. I think the only thing I would • still buy would be white center sections, but I might also
be induced to still buy more 12 wide brown center sections. I might be cutting • it close on crewing those ships for the battle game
(I have upwards of 1200 pirate theme minifigs, but that includes Islanders). • I'd say that when I build everything, I could easily
run a battle game for 40 players. I probably won't be able to manage a • campaign game for more than 30 players unless some came in
late or some played imperial ships.

An interesting game scenario for a long convention with the room available for • several days would be to have about 10 "master"
players who would start off in command of an imperial base and a few ships, or • a shipping company. They would then assign other
players to play some of their ships. Additionally, some number of players • would start off as free agents (aka pirates or privateers,
some with papers to be privateers and some not). The other players might have • opportunities to turn pirate (should be rare for a
captain of an imperial ship, and normally only occur for a merchant ship when • defeated by pirates who decide to turn the ship over
to some of the captured crew [one possibility here is a slaver or ship • transporting indentured servants]).

(1) The number of hull classes of 16 wide is indeterminate because 16 wide • ships a 3 hull classes + 1 per center section + 1 if >1
center section.

Frank