 Pirates / 1149
Re: Shako Problem
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 18:20:05 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Ross McCullough writes:
As my imperial horde slowly expands, I am facing the Shako Problem.  The
imcreasing rarity of the shako leaves many of my minions hatless.  I have not
once seen a shako sold independently of a soldier, and so it is near on
impossible to complete a satisfactory private.  I have used tricorns on the
blue soldiers, in true CC fashion, yet I am hesitant to keep them this way as
I am a stickler for historical accuracy, and don't know how accurate this
technique is.

Shakos by themselves are hard to find unless you want to throw money (paying as
much for the hat as I pay for a whole figure is not an option with me).

Tricorns for blue-coated (english) officers would be okay, or bicorns
(worn athwartships or fore-and-aft).  On ship, shakos would be more appropriate
for non-officer marines (red-coats).  Era and country would change things
about.  Crew, of course, wouldn't be red or blue coats, so that doesn't matter.

My own policy is to substitute what is available and don't sweat strict
accuracy.  Pith helmets from Adventurers works nice (but put the backpack on
and then the epaulettes).  I'm thinking of switching over my Black Guard to the
Adventurers bush hat with feather, which makes a decent Musketeer hat.

Bruce