 People / Newbie / 250
Re:vintage LEGO Dacta Apple II interface
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people.newbie, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 2004 05:07:37 GMT

Dwight,
Good luck with your search. I've included some help below.

In lugnet.people.newbie, Dwight Beebe wrote:
Hi all,

I've been trying to figure out how I can resurrect 5 lovely kits.  The folks at
LEGO have been less than helpful.  These are programmable kits that ran off
Apple IIgs computers.

I believe this is what you are talking about:

There's an interface with wires that connect to various switches/motors.  >What I need:

1. A chance to talk with a guru about getting these kits working, especially
through the computer interface.
Look through vintage computer groups. I've cross posted this to our local
computer group. Perhaps someone there is knowledgable about this system.

The only online reference I could find was a mention in a very old article
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/themicrouser/TMUIndex/TMU06-08.htm
Look under Education - Lego
Note: That magazine mentions the mostly British BBC Micro. A search on that name
did yeild many results, but none specifically for Lego. I don't know if the
interface/programming is generic or Lego specific. The only info I had to search
on was pictures.

There was another teacher looking to use this same system. Here's his post,
perhaps you could share resources:
http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=21232

2. A source for the software (I have the interface card and everything else).
This will be tough, but I do believe it is still in circulation. There is also a
movement to emulate such old systems, so you may have luck searching along those
lines.

3. Any helpful advice.  I teach k-6 science at a small, rural public school.
The kids that have seen and built from these kits are drooling over the
possibilities these kits represent.
The wires and motors are 4.5V systems. You can still find that kind of equipment
online, but be sure to get the wires & connections with a center tab (if your
equipment has the center post like in my picture).

I apologize for the lack of part/model numbers, etc. as I'm at home and don't
have the sets at hand.
I would love to have photocopies or pictures of any of the equipment and
literature for this line. I keep a website of vintage Lego information, and this
line of equipment would be an excellent addition.

I hope that has helped a bit,
Clark

Visit my Vintage Parts pages, submissions always welcome:

Marking the difference - Isodomos.com
http://www.isodomos.com