 People / LGBT / 52
Re: Is LGBT a comon acronym in the US?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people.lgbt
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 17:52:10 GMT

In lugnet.people.lgbt, Johannes Koehler wrote:
Is it correct that the G and the L switched places?
Perhaps it's a matter of politeness. Ladies first!

I did some research on this the other day, and learned that for a very long
time, women were left out of the gay movement... hence the increasing emphasis
on L over the years.  It's interesting that today, both LGBT and GLBT have
almost the same number of hits on Google, with LGBT having a very slight lead.
I'd expect that lead to continue, probably.

It's also interesting that GLB and LGB have roughly the same number of hits
as GLBT and LGBT, except in the cases of GLB & LGB, the most popular hits
are corporate acronyms.

--Todd

p.s.  And yes, there are T's here among us, in case anyone is wondering.