 People / LGBT / 33
32  |  34
Subject:
Subjects for this newsgroup
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people.lgbt
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 2004 02:22:01 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

There was a good deal of discussion in the admin threads before this
newsgroup was created, about what kind of subjects it might address, and
whether they were more properly housed elsewhere or not. Many people made
good arguments for various points of view.

Certain subjects, we know from experience, are likely to degenerate into
emotionally loaded, heated debates - these include gay-related political and
religious subjects like same sex marriage and references to homosexuality in
the bible.

I would really, really hate to see this newsgroup degenerate into another
place for gay vs straight arguments like we've seen previously in
o-t-debate. That would completely destroy the usefulness of this group as
"safe space".

So, can I *request* - on a purely personal level since I have no official
standing of any kind here - that everyone has the courtesy to delay posting
predictably-divisive subjects until we've had a chance to do a little
community development?

I anticipate that someone will cry "censorship" at this point. It's not.
It's a request for your consideration.

Thanks

Kevin