 People / 803
Re: Suzanne is in the hospital
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people, lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 16:47:30 GMT

In lugnet.people, Todd Lehman writes:
As some of you know, Suzanne has been battling depression
for a while -- the main catalysts being the loss of her
father to cancer last year right before...

Don't know what the right term would be - ironic or poetic
or something - I just popped over here to follow-up my UCS
post and explain why I've been AWOL for almost two years.
The primary reason is that I lost my father to cancer about
a year ago also.

Just before Christmas 1998 Dad was diagnosed with Mesothelioma
(cancer of the lining of the lung) from asbestos exposure
back in the early sixties.  There's no treatment, so all
they could do (operation/chemotherapy wise) was to make him
more comfortable.  In early April I was able to bring him
some good news - I had been hired by the Virginia Dept. of Tr.
as a programmer/analyst.  (I've wanted to emigrate to the
USA for a long time.)  I quit my job and gave notice on my
penthouse and was able to spend more time with Dad at the
hospital.  Then in mid-May came what I call my "stress week".

Late Thursday night Dad finally stopped breathing (he'd been
"out of it" for a few days) and went home.  Friday morning
was the wedding rehearsal for my brother.  Saturday was the
wedding, (very emotional of course) and Sunday was basically
a continuation of Sat.  Monday a FedEx package I needed from
Virginia finally arrived, (a month late - the guy handling my
hiring had just lost his father to cancer also) so Tuesday I
was able to get movers in to pack up everything I own and head
south.  Wednesday was the memorial for my Dad, and then 6:00am
Thursday I was supposed to get on the plane.  However, a bit
of beurocratic(sp) nitpicking by INS keep me here in Edmonton.

I ended up staying with Mom and helping with all the various
details, (I'm almost done helping her get settled in her new
home.) and kept the house from being so empty.  I'm starting
to get things back on track, but my financial position is
still not great - my last paycheck was May99 and I have never
taken a dime from a government handout.  I'm part of a company
with fantastic prospects, but there's little cash flow for now.

I'll pray for you guys (Todd/Suzanne) and keep working on my
situation.  Somewhere along the way, I expect to be Star Wars
complete with lots of Trains, Technic, and ModelTeam.

TTYL
SRC