 People / 725
724  |  726
Subject:
LUGNET Roll-Call (Update)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Thu, 8 Jun 2000 06:17:48 GMT

Name: John J. Ladasky, Jr.

Gender: Male

Year of Birth: 1968

Mental Age/Status of Inner Child: Was called a "35 year-old midget" when I was
10; now that I'm actually approaching 35, sometimes I'm 10 inside... other days,
I'm 65!

Location: San Jose, California, USA

E-mail Address: ladasky@my-deja.com

LEGO/home page URL(s): none yet

Marital Status: married

Children: one son, Spencer, born 1996

Occupation:  Postdoctoral research scientist, Stanford University Medical
Center, Palo Alto, CA

On Lugnet Since: November 1999

# of Sets in LEGO Collection: best guess -- 110... I inherited a significant
portion of my collection, but not the accompanying instructions

# of Unopened Sets in Collection: 3 (and I'll fix that promptly!)

# of LEGO Pieces: best guess -- 21,000

# of LEGO Theme Parks Visited: 0

# of LEGO fests attended: 0

First LEGO Set: Farm Set (190), in 1976

LEGO Dark Age: roughly the time I entered high school, around 1982.  It was
nothing deliberate, I just got busy with other things.

First Set after Dark Age:  Exploriens Android Base (6958)

Favorite Theme(s): Originally, I dutifully listed the themes of my youth --
Space, Town, and Castle -- as my favorites.  As I continue to build, I realize
that the over-arching theme in my work is "Non-Orthogonality."  I really enjoy
the challenge of building something that isn't shaped like a box, from parts
that largely are shaped like boxes.

Favorite Set(s): Shuttle Launch Pad (6339), Classic Space Cruiser (487), and
Yellow Castle (375 -- I have two of these).

Favorite Piece(s): 4 X 8 Classic Space Wing; 1 X 4 / 2 X 2 hinge brick

Favorite Minifigure(s): Queen Leona, a custom minifig I made using a female
head, King Leo's crown and sword, a decorated black body, and Darth Vader's
black cape

Set/theme you would like to see: a reasonable-looking, 6-stud wide automobile
that accomodates two minifigs side-by-side.  (Some AFOL have apparently already
done this.)

Current LEGO Projects: 1) Accumulating parts!!!  2) Making sure that my son has
a great time when he sits down with his Dad to play with Lego; 3) Minifig-scale
space plane, a hypothetical successor to the Space Shuttle, estimated length
when completed = 55 studs; 4) Nanofig-scale Star Wars Imperial Star Destroyer,
length 63 studs; 5) Minifig-scale minaret, with octagonal cross-section and
spiral staircase, estimated height when completed = 60 bricks.

Greatest Claim to LEGO Fame: 56-stud x 36-stud "Black Ship" space vessel with
detachable shuttlecraft -- built as an early teen, years before Blacktron.  (The
photographs I took are too fuzzy to share!)

Other (Non-LEGO) Interests: My wonderful wife, Irene; my budding LEGO maniac of
a son, Spencer, who has given me the excuse I needed to play again; all manner
of scientific disciplines (including the one that pays my bills, namely
immunology); music, as a listener, player, and composer; politics, particularly
of the environmental variety; gardening and native plants.

--
John J. Ladasky Jr., Ph.D.
Department of Structural Biology