 People / 4766
Re: Jake McKee's Speech: How LEGO Caught the Cluetrain
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego, lugnet.people
Date:
Sat, 5 Apr 2008 23:30:23 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.general, Steve Bliss wrote:
In lugnet.general, Tim Courtney wrote:
An industry buddy of mine sent me a link to this speech that Jake McKee gave at
the "There's a New Conversation" conference which, IIRC, highlighted 10 years of
the Cluetrain Manifesto. Jake tells a lot of the story of taking LEGO from a
company in 2000 that was almost hostile towards AFOLs to today where fans
participate in product development and there's open two-way communication.

I watched it last night. Jake did a great job illustrating what we all
experienced with the company over the last 8 or so years from the company's
side. I'll probably write up some thoughts on my own site from at a later date,
for now, enjoy the video:

http://blip.tv/file/697965

Wow.  Great recap of how far LEGO has come.  Hopefully, they'll keep following
this road.

And I remember meeting Jake for the first time -- it was his first week at the
company, he was running the video camera during the "LEGO CAD summit". :)

Was that his first week at the company? I know it was his first year, but I
didn't know he was *that* new to TLC at the time. Somehow I don't think that's
quite right but I could be fuzzy.

I do remember the prototype Bionicles with the sticky tack used to hold the
masks on so they didn't need axles at tight tolerances.

-Tim