 People / 4388
Re: Quick trip home
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Sat, 7 May 2005 14:08:09 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Well, I’m back. Aside from annoyances by United Airlines (delays, missing
connections, and broken airplanes), things went very smoothly. I had a good time
being back in Boston (understatement).

Here’s the list of goals I made before I left. All but the last one were
completed:

- Catch up on LUGNET with Todd Lehman. (and Matthew Miller)
- Talk with Dan & Jenn Boger and Dave Eaton about the LUGNET sets database.
- Visit the “hurt books” section of the MIT Press Bookstore. (Hoh, so many good
finds!)
- Drink and swear a lot. (taboo at home)
- Visit my spunky 89-year–old grandmother, Nanny.
- Buy phone minutes for my “Speak Out” emergency cell-phone from 7-11. (there
are -no- 7-11 stores in the South)
- Browse textbooks at the Boston University Bookstore.
- Ride over the cable-stay bridge and through the new tunnel of Big-Dig project.
- Go to my old regular café for latte.
- Go candlepin bowling. (does not exist in the South)

I did everything except the bowling. ..but it’ll be there next time. My only
reason for wanting to go to the lanes anyway was because my friends/family in SC
never heard of candlepin. I wanted to take pictures there and reminisce.

Bonus cool experiences:

- Met Mathew’s baby, Guen, and visited Karen at their place.
- Saw Todd’s new office at BU.
- Stayed in Todd’s beautifully preserved, charming, and large third-floor home.
(c.1930’s?)
- At my old apartment, slept on my old couch. Ahhh, so comfy…
- Viewed my old perennial garden blooming.
- Watched cartoons and hentai with Jenn et. al. (heh, heh)
- Watched an impressive show of Todd’s photos and movies on his mega-cool
projection system with THX surround sound.
- Slipped into a Borders Books (none in SC).
- Shopped at  Out of Town News in Harvard Square. Bought a few foreign mags and
the daily Asahi Shimbun Japanese newspaper.
- Borrowed a super-geeky book from Todd about typography.
- Made friends with other strangers on busses and planes. (extremely unusual for
me)
- Played the giant chimes in the MIT subway station.
- Then coaxed a man on opposite platform (an applauder asking for encore) to
ring his half of the chimes.
- Called TomD out of the blue.
- Used a Sidekick. (Jenn’s)
- Sent my first text-message. (to Mike Rayhawk)
- Used my iPod as an iPod. (not just a car stereo)
- Saw an iPod shuffle and mini iMac for the first time. (Todd’s)
- Cuddled adorable kittens at the animal hospital where Jenn works. Played with
their microscope too!
- Bought a huge bottle of Tanqueray, for half what it’d cost in SC. Then drank
much T&T, of course.
- Ordered “real” beer, on tap. (rare in SC)
- Ate über-delicious curry chicken dish, courtesy D&J, that lasted two more
meals.
- Ate the best Thai food I’ve -ever- had, courtesy Todd and Matt.
- Had yumm-lunch at Pizzerea Uno, courtesy Todd (albeit eaten very, very
quickly)
- Enjoyed home-cooked dinner, courtesy Nanny. (Awww..)
- Drank latte at AuBonPain with one of my fav orange scones.
- Sipped more latte, while reading a new book at the Starbucks under B.U.
(Columbia is just getting its first Starbucks.)
- Gave Nanny a gift that brought her close to tears.
- Received some old family photos from her of my mother (didn’t have any)
- Gave D&J a LEGO-related gift that they didn’t even know existed! (DaveE seemed
especially fascinated by it)
- Received a LEGO gift from DaveE—a set I’ve been dying for. He’s such a
sweetie!

Only a few “not so good” experiences:

- Forgot to call Tom back because I was so busy.
- Temporarily lost Jim’s cell-phone in a taxi.
- Lugged my ever-heavier baggage for a million miles.