 People / 4127
Re: Lavender Brick Society
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people, lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.org
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 2004 00:22:50 GMT

In lugnet.people, Kevin Wilson wrote:
In lugnet.people, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
I guess I personally am in the camp that doesn't see why people
would *want* this group. Personally, it seems marginalising.

But I do not think that my view *matters*.

Thank you Larry.

My mind is boggling at the number of people who are posting what boils down to:

"I don't understand why it should exist, so it shouldn't"

Are you lumping into that those that are really saying, "Lugnet is about Lego,
and homesexual, heterosexual, transsexual, etc. really has nothing to do with
Lego"?  I'm starting to see spin-mastering on this topic that I don't foresee as
conducive to the discussion.

It is quite usual when there is a small group within a majority group, for
members of the larger group not to understand why the members of the small group
want or need their own space (in this case: newsgroup). That's why it's not a
good idea to allow the majority to decide whether the smaller group should be
allowed to have that space or not.

You need to state then precisely what kind of forum is being proposed: is it an
on-topic forum about Lego but for gays/etc. to discuss Lego because they don't
feel comfortable discussing Lego with non-gays?  Is it a forum to discuss Lego
projects in whatever form that directly deal with gay subjects?  Is it an
off-topic forum that really has nothing to do with Lego beyond the participants
allegedly fool around with Lego at least a little?  Is it a social club?
Something else?  Would the goals of such a group be better met on some existing
board or by making their own?  Are there forums on Lugnet that adequately cover
what is being proposed already?

And what does "the majority" have to do with it?  Todd Lehman decides unless he
has delegated that authority to someone else or has formed some kind of small
committee, because I guarentee you I don't have a vote in the matter at the
moment.  :-)

-->Bruce<--