 People / 3662
Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 09:39:30 GMT

      Hi,

          Please don't take this as an attack... Just a different opinion : )

In lugnet.people, Dave Johann writes:
Terry

Unfortunately, Terry, many folks can't have an intelligent conversation
without refering to god in
some way shape or form. They feel that there is a guiding force in their
lives that they MUST push
down other folks throats 24/7/365.

     I wouldn't say this is particularly fair. (Define intelligent
conversation : ) ). The reason many Christians talk about God/Jesus so much
is because He is their guidance, there life, like mine, is based upon him.
     Now without any offence I'm going to wager your faviorite topic (lego
or other) comes up a lot in your conversation and you don't think a thing
about it. If you are baseing your life on God, and I think we all agree in
freedon of religion to do that, of course he is going to end up in your
conversation. It is like asking someone to have a conversation without
mentioning anything they care about, of course it is possible but do you
want to...
     That said you no one should be shoving God down anyone's throat. I am
just asking you to look at some other reasons for that person's (no one in
perticular) behaviour. Say for example, you believed in Jesus and God. Bear
with me here, and you believed that Jesus had died for you, taken your wrap!
(Not cramming, just answering someone else's God point...) I think you would
be overcome (as many christians are) with joy and feel a need, based on
compassion NOT malice, to share Jesus with people you care about. And you
would also see it as a favour to share Jesus with a stranger (just look from
the other side for a second).
      I think it is very important that you understand that a person telling
you about Jesus has better things to do then to dream up this elaborate
conviction and share it with you just to spite you! No matter how irritating
you find it just keep in the back of your head, "He/She thinks they're being
kind to me".

I feel sorry for them that they can't
live their lives to the
fullest without bowing down to an imaginary higher power.

    I feel sorry for you, you can't live your life to the fullest WITHOUT Jesus.

    There That cancels out, if I wrote it again would I be + 1? : ) (Take
that last line as a joke).

Now if that didn't raise someone's ire for speaking my peace, I don't know
what will.
      Not ire, just trying to clarify.

Dave -who can play with bricks without chatting about imaginary friends.

      After this, you'll forgive me for not understanding why my generic,
take it or leave it, last line comment, "God Bless" is labelled offensive.

       God Bless,

      Suggested ways to take this without offence (from meanest to kindest):
      Note: " " could be anyone...

1) "I don't believe in God, I hate hearing about him for some unmown reason,
      and now this %#@* has written about him! Calm, calm, I'll just
remember I have a superior mind, he is an idiot and therfore needs this God
thing. I'll walk away knowing I'm better and ignoring that inferior thing I
know to be untrue" Now take a deep breath : )

2) "AHHHH! He always puts 'God Bless' at the end of his post! We're all
going to die as a result of this blatent outrage against our opinion which
should be and is the only 'polite' one... But wait I clicked a link or
scrolled up and escaped...."

3) "Wow, what a fool, 'God Bless'" shaking head and chuckling, clicks next
post.

4) "'God Bless' can't be a bad thing, if there is no God I'm the only one
acting on it by taking offence. If I didn't act, no one would..."

5) "Well, I don't believe in God but it seems He means this for good so
I'll let it slide..."

6) "In the remotely tiny chance I'm wrong, and there is a God, it's nice to
know someone is asking him to bless me."

     Pheew, God Bless,

             Nathan (I wonder if anyone will notice my desperate attempts to
allinat Lugnet and sow discord by writing 'God Bless' twice!) Sorry that was
rude... but you get my drift.