 People / 3395
Re: My anniversary of an unfortuante event
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Thu, 26 Dec 2002 03:40:09 GMT

In lugnet.people, Kevin Salm writes:
Two years ago on Christmas Eve (December 24, 2000) I was involved in a
near-fatal motor vehicle collision.  The physical scars and impairment that
resulted are with me daily, but I don't often re-play my memory of the events.
As I sat in church enjoying Christmas Eve services yesterday, I could not stop
thinking of how exactly two years ago at this very hour I was being safely
extricated from the commercial truck I was trapped inside of.

I have a strong rememberance that one of my very first thoughts immediately
after impact was that I have just interrupted (and ruined) Christmas Eve for
all of the volunteer rescuers that would come to my assistance.
You see, the hour was 7 PM.  The same hour that many church services and
private gatherings are held.
I owe a lot to the team of fire and rescue personnel who did their absolute
best to care for me and pull me from a mass of twisted steel and broken glass.
Despite my injuries, I remained conscious and aware for nearly the entire
ordeal and have a pretty good idea of the heroics and skill used.

This accident left me with as many as 30 bone fractures in various places but,
fortunately, no life-threatening injuries.  As a result, I lost the ability to
walk for over 14 months and lost normal use of my right hand for about 10
months.  I was unable to ejnoy building with Lego toys during this period.
When I did try building I was usually overcome with frustration; instead I
satisfied myself with simply sorting my collection and planning future building
projects.

Moving the mouse and typing with my left hand, I spend a lot of time online
reading Lugnet, browsing Brickshelf, and spending money at BrickLink.  After
faith, family, and friends, it was my passion for Lego bricks that kept me
focused on improvement and eventual recovery.  My obsession with Lego toys
makes up a huge part of who I am.  It makes me proud that I can count on Lugnet
and all of the people I have met here for the quiet support I needed.

As I said, my recovery has been excellent and can be considered successful.  I
have resumed normal Lego building habits without difficulty.  Do not feel sorry
for me--I have not felt sorry for myself for one minute!!  What happened two
years ago on Christmas changed my life but a bit of determination is all it
took to change it right back!  I am so glad to be a part of the online Lego
community here at Lugnet and to have such a wonderful hobby.

__Kevin Salm__
Proud member of Lugnet.

To find out more details about the accident and my recovery, search back in
time in lugnet.people.
Hi Kevin,
Your story is a remarkable one!  I've been aware of your situation and that
you were recovering from your injuries for some time now on Lugnet!  People
like you are a true inspiration of what a little determination can do in
life.  I'm very glad to hear you are doing well!
The lugnet community is as great as it is because of people like you who
share their interest and love of this hobby.  People, like me, who frequent
this site get familiar with certain names almost as if they were family even
though we've never met.  Your name is one of those.  I've always enjoyed
your posts and what you have to say.
I've been a professional firefighter for 23 years now.  I think I can speak
for most of the people in my profession to say that we aren't the heroes!
People always like to think of us as heroes, but we're just doing the job
we've chosen to do.  Sometimes it's dangerous and sometimes we can make a
real impact on other people's lives, but those things just come with the
territory!  In my opinion, it doesn't take courage to pull people out of
wrecks or put out fires.  Real courage is shown by people like you who deal
with personal adversity and overcome it.  I admire you for what you've been
able to accomplish.  It makes me appreciate the things we often take for
granted in life.  Thanks for sharing your personal triumph with us!
regards,
Tom
I hope your recovery continues to go well.