 Parts / Modification / 297
Re: New modded parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts.mod
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 2007 01:16:05 GMT

In lugnet.parts.mod, Mark Bellis wrote:
Here's an update on my parts experiments.  I've added quite a few Technic parts:

The expansion link http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=231111 ,
based on a 1x3 thin liftarm, allows an axle or peg to slide in the 1x2 slotted
hole.  Very useful for steam engines:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1093550 (It would go vertically,
in the middle of the picture)

A half double axle joiner (41678)
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=231108 has proved very useful.
Several existing parts can be made from a pair of them, as well as several new
configurations for positioning things in a small space.

My half pin without stud http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2291705
has been around a while in steam engines.  This pic shows the basic application
of fixing together two thin liftarms in a total width of 8mm:

The 1x2 xo thin liftarm has also been in my steam engines and Apache helicopter
for a while, but the 1x4 liftarm makes two of them conveniently:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2291714  This pic shows the
basic application of changing rotary motion to linear motion in a small space:

This piece is the useful part of a technic 1xn plate that broke:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2291718  It's not only a 1x2
plate with a hole at the end, it's also a 1x2 plate with 1 stud and 1 area of
tile.  Here's the top of it:

The 2mm wide quarter bush
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2291720 is one I've been using
for a while now, particularly in the LMS Garratt steam engine for positioning
the frames for the driving wheels in such a way that a train motor can rotate
freely between them.  Again, easy to make, just cut and file on a sacrificial
axle on a 4000 rpm motor.

Please let me know what you think, particularly if you're not averse to modding!
I intend to ask TLG why some of these have not been made properly by them since
they're small, versatile parts rather than the chunky useless ones we see too
many of.

Mark

Wow, those are some very good mods!  I can definitely see the half-double axle
joiner perpendicular becoming very handy - for half unit increments, among other
things.

Sometime I'll compile my own part wish list, but I'm to laz-er-busy right now.
One handy thing is the tow ball pins.  saw off the ball part and you get a nice
plug-type piece in X or O.  I'll get pics up sooner or later.
--Peter