 Parts / Modification / 259
  Modding plastic track to conducting track

Hi all, I'm curious what you part modders think about modifying the new plastic train track to allow it to conduct electricity. My thought was that you could use metallic conducting tape on top of the plastic tracks and make yourself a good (...) (18 years ago, 7-Jan-06, to lugnet.parts.mod, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Modding plastic track to conducting track

(...) Well theoretically using conducting tape would work but reliability would be a huge issue. My guess would be that the tape would likely rub through within a hour or two. The other method of adding metal to the plastic is a little more (...) (18 years ago, 7-Jan-06, to lugnet.parts.mod, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Modding plastic track to conducting track

(...) (URL) (18 years ago, 7-Jan-06, to lugnet.parts.mod)

  Re: Modding plastic track to conducting track

(...) Already done, I did some experiments using some of the old 4.5v track. (URL) ran metal foil tape on top of the platic rails. (URL) The tape is tin plated copper for use in stain glass. The train motor ran fine. And with the new plastic track I (...) (18 years ago, 9-Jan-06, to lugnet.parts.mod, lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Modding plastic track to conducting track

(...) I think the solution is to find some source for C channel metal that is the correct size for the rails. What you would be doing is finding something that is physically similar to the current metal covering. It might be possible to make a (...) (18 years ago, 11-Jan-06, to lugnet.parts.mod)

  Re: Modding plastic track to conducting track

(...) well speaking from experince the metal "c" channel does exist in the correct size and is avalable in lenghths of up to at least 3 ft. the main issue that someone would really have to contend with is the joints. creating that seemingly simple (...) (18 years ago, 12-Jan-06, to lugnet.parts.mod)