 Parts / Modification / 213
Re: Some thoughts on painting transparent Lego elements
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts.mod
Date:
Tue, 12 Apr 2005 22:25:16 GMT

Hi James

In lugnet.parts.mod, James Wilson wrote:
Lots of good info in there!

Glad you found it useful.

Here's a couple of suggestions for painting/tinting
clear parts that I learned from scale modeling:

[snipped lots of good stuff]

Useful suggestions, James.  I knew all of that (at least in theory), since I've
been a model builder since the 1960s (although, back in '67 I was more of a
Stick It Together Quickly kind of builder... :) ).  I've always avoided the use
of airbrushes, though, lacking the fume extraction equipment I'd want to feel
safe using them.  For people properly set up, though, you can do some
_astonishing_ stuff with transparent finishes.

Did you consider using the "window-cling" material you can buy for inkjet
printers, and making stick-on applique's, rather than painting?

Hmm.  Not until you mentioned, no!  :)  I'd never even heard of the stuff, in
fact.  Mind you, my only computer printer is a dot matrix one, so I'm not too
likely to do any printing as opposed to painting in the _near_ future, but it's
something to keep in mind.  Thanks!

Regards,

Norbert Black