 Parts / Modification / 212
Re: Some thoughts on painting transparent Lego elements
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts.mod
Date:
Tue, 12 Apr 2005 14:27:33 GMT

Norbert,
Lots of good info in there!  Here's a couple of suggestions for painting/tinting
clear parts that I learned from scale modeling:

Future floor polish (USA product name) is actually a clear acrylic coating.  It
is self-leveling (fills minor scratches) and can be brushed, airbrushed, or even
dipped.  It can be tinted with clear acrylics in the Tamiya and Gunze Sangyo
lines of model paints (available at hobby shops) - they have clear colors used
for tinting tail-light lenses, landing lights, and the like.  It can be applied
over something like your painted-on fishes to protect them from damage, too.
For airbrushing, it is thinned with rubbing alcohol (I think that's what it is -
rec.models.scale has a BUNCH of info about using Future).

Did you consider using the "window-cling" material you can buy for inkjet
printers, and making stick-on applique's, rather than painting?

Best regards,
James Wilson
Dallas, TX