 Parts / 4
Re: First post?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 2004 21:27:41 GMT

In lugnet.parts, Larry Pieniazek wrote:

   I’m psyched about this group, I look forward to lots of great discussion.

Ditto.

   Like on why it’s great that LEGO has started pairing half parts instead of making one width complex slopes and suchlike.

Do you mean that they’ve started releasing parts like these:

Rather than, or at least in addition to, a part like this:

If that’s what you mean, then I totally agree. I think it’s great to see more of what I would consider ‘core’ elements being added to the system. Highly resuable and more flexible than one piece that covers both sides. (1)

If that wasn’t what you meant.... well then, I have no idea what you’re talking about and you’ll have to explain. :)

As a side note... I’ve always found it interesting that certain parts that I sort of think of as ‘partners’ or ‘pairs’ weren’t always released in the same year. For example, the 3x2 33-degree standard slope came out around 1971 with some other slopes of the same angle. But its inverted version didn’t arrive until 1979. Not that it matters... just that I’ve found it interesting. :)

Best regards,
Allan B.

(1) Not that there’s anything wrong with a piece like 6069, I was simply using it to illustrate this example. In fact, when building an X-Wing, for example, I’d probably rather have the 6069 as the nose cone than two separate pieces that formed the same shape.