 Parts / 140
Re: different types of bricks in different years?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts
Date:
Fri, 1 Apr 2005 00:58:34 GMT

In lugnet.parts, Clark Stephens wrote:
In lugnet.parts, Anja Smits wrote:
Perhaps somebody can help me out.
there appear to be more differences in the parts [than shown on Peeron]
Yes, there are many smaller variations in brick molds than what is shown on
Peeron. That site only tracks 'functional' differences in the brick. That is
changes that effect the way you use bricks to build things. Many of the smaller
mold changes are not of high interest to most builders, and are not yet tracked
by Peeron.
For some bricks, there can be dozens of improvements to the molds over the
years. For example, I have a picture of 17 different versions of the 2x4 brick,
and have been informed of at least a half dozen others I didn't picture. Here's
my collection of brick mold variants:

I assume that the different types are from different years
Yes, although I haven't been able to attach specific years to specific mold
types, I can generally tell if the bricks belong together.

However, it would be of great help if we knew what types have been produced
in which time-periods.
Sorry, can't help you there. I can say that for both posts (under the brick) and
studs (on top of the brick) the ones with holes came after the ones that are
solid.

Other order tendencies:

pat. pend -> pat. pend erased -> no pat pend -> part number
(note here that the part number is 4+ digits, not the 2 or 1 digit mold/cell
numbers)

round hole -> axle + hole -> axle x tabs hole - axle x open hole
http://www.peeron.com/cgi-bin/invcgis/psearch?query=Technic+Bush+1%2F2

parts without a hole -> same part with some kind of hole

no stud notches -> with stud notches on edge of angled plates/bricks

See my brick2x4compare.txt file in my Brickshelf folder above for more guesses
on the order of some of the mold variants.

Of course these are just rough guides. The minute I state this, you'll hear
several exceptions. But generally speaking these may help you order the age of a
pile of parts.

And is it important to use exactly the same bricks in e.g. a car or building
if I want to sell it? (with exactly I mean even more resemblance than the
specifications peeron.com gives)
This depends. There is a large seller on Bricklink that openly states he doesn't
care what bricks go into the sets he sells. All of the vintage collectors I know
DO care, and can tell, if modern or mixed bricks were used to reconstruct a set.
Generally speaking, it is better to be honest and inform your customers that the
set was re-built with mixed bricks or that you took the time to try and use
age-appropriate parts.

Note that the transition from one mold type to another was not a 'clean'
transition. Even MISB sets can have a mix of mold types during the transition.
But they'd still have similar parts.

Also, be very careful of the slopes. The texture on the surface of slopes has
changed alot over the years. You can easily spot 'off' bricks in the roof after
it is assembled by looking at the reflected light from the sloped surface.

Hope that helps. Please contact me directly if I may be of further assistance.
Clark

As Clark stated, dating Lego can be very tricky.  Old molds were often used at
the same time as new molds.  TLG rarely discarded them if there was still life
left in them.

Here is a list that shows major brick changes (between Cellulose Acetate and ABS
Plastic:

1949-52 CA Slotted Bricks/Hollow bottom without "LEGO" identifier.
1953-54 CA Slotted Bricks/Hollow bottom. "LEGO" in block letters underneath.
1955-56 CA Slotted Bricks/Hollow bottom. "LEGO" in "Dog Bone" logo underneath.
1957-58 CA Bricks/Hollow bottom. "LEGO" on studs.
1958-62 CA Bricks/with Tubes. "LEGO" on studs, Pat. Pend. underneath.
1963-68 ABS Bricks/with Tubes. "LEGO" on studs, Pat. Pend. underneath.
1969-72 ABS Bricks/Tubes. "LEGO" on studs, Pat. Pend replaced with "mounds".
1973-present ABS Bricks/Tubes. "LEGO" on studs. No Pat. Pend and no mounds.

From 1957-62 the font was the 1950's font.
From 1963-present the font was the modern font.
Samsonite also had their own font from 1961-72.

But Samsonite sets always had more than one font in the set contents. Often they
had 3 fonts within the same set (50's, modern, Samsonite).  And there would
often be a mix of Cellulose Acetate/ABS plastic.  ABS first appeared in
Samsonite sets in 1963.  But the last Cellulose Acetate parts (yellow) didn't
disappear until about 1970 from Samsonite sets.

European sets were (usually) much more homogenous.

And then there are the plates.  In Europe from 1955-62 they were waffle bottom.
From 1963-present they were circle bottom.  In USA/Canada Samsonite continued
producing both waffle and circle bottom plates mixed together in the same sets
from 1963-72.

Sometimes things get so confusing with old sets, that it is easier to determine
if a set is original in a different way.  If the different parts within a set
show different about of wear, then that usually is a sign that the set has been
reassembled.

Gary Istok