 Organizations / United States / TEXLUG / 42
Re: TEXLUG Info
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.texlug
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2001 14:10:57 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.texlug, Thomas (T. J.) Avery writes:
Hello again!

Many of you who attended last Saturday's meeting expressed serious interest
in establishing an official "TEXLUG" group and getting a website put together.

The person I told you about is Karl Barger (karl.barger@mail.sprint.com). He
has the rights to www.texlug.org and has offered to get the site up and
running if there are enough volunteers to maintain and update the site.
Please contact him about volunteering your help. (and if you're listening
Karl, please email me- I volunteer too!)

In the meantime, there is the pittly little webpage that I put together:
www.texbrick.com/tefol
I need to update it with everyone's current infomation and notes from
Saturday's meeting.

As for the actual TEXLUG group, I think we're on the road to establishing
that. Maybe, in a way, we've done that already. Possibly, with Karl's
blessing, we can really call ourselves TEXLUG instead of "Texas AFOLs" or
TEFOL or whatever.

Last Saturday's meeting was just the beginning of our organization and we'll
make the commitment to keep it going with regular meetings and frequent
communication (I urge you to use this newsgroup!).

Keep in touch and please use our newsgroup to communicate about future
events, ideas, etc. Now that a lot of us have met face to face, I think it
will be easier and more comfortable to do this.

thanks,
TJ

p.s. So what are we going to do with a TEXLUG website?
I'm sure Karl has plenty of ideas, and I'll leave it to him to issue the
overall approval of the site. But, I have a few suggestions just to get the
site started:
1) list of members (with links to each others websites)
2) notes of meetings with pictures
3) info on future meetings (e.g. like next Feb. :-)
4) info on meeting plans (e.g. create massive train layout)
5) display a few MOCs of members (e.g. something with a Texas theme, perhaps
- like the state flag I built with bricks)

p.s.s. Okay, some notes on the above list:
1) already started: www.texbrick.com/tefol (I'll update this soon)
2) already started: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=7331
3) yes, *next February*
4) who's up for building what? bridges, buildings, track layout, etc.
5) http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=6599

Sorry I wasn't able to make it to the meeting, maybe I can meet y'all in the
spring at the next shin-dig.

The ideas about the TEXLUG website sound great.  They are right in line with
what I was thinking when I registered the website last year.  My how things
change in 18 months!

As T.J. mentioned I don't really have the time to keep the website
maintained, but I am more than willing to pay for the hosting of the site
and the continued registration of the domain name.  If we have enough folks
that want to contribute content to the website, I would be willing to manage
the site (i.e. collect content, apply changes, upload the changes, respond
to e-mail sent from visitors to the site, etc.) until such time that someone
else expresses a desire to do so.

I will do some research and find a decent hosting company for the site and
publish a "shell" so that the site is active again.  I'll also add some
initial content based on T.J.'s suggestions and the results from the meeting.

It's cool to see TEXLUG beginning to take off!

Happy building!

Karl