 Organizations / United States / TEXLUG / 249
Re: From Laura: Meeting Pictures and a big thank you
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.texlug
Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 13:10:06 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.texlug, Laura Hayden writes:
I have to say that every time we get together I am
reminded what a great group we have. Thank y'all for
coming and making the first annual TexLUG Event at
National Instruments a success! The looks on the
kids' faces when they saw TJ's crane move or when they
realized that Anthony's dragons' teeth were made
from minifig hands or when they saw Tim's monorail (and
much, much more) were just priceless.

Tim's monorail also survived an attack from a mini-HOG (small Hand Of God).
The monorail was sent flying into a deep gorge (off the table) with all
minifigs aboard, resulting in a gruesome crash that could be heard and felt
for miles.

This then prompted a discussion about setting up an electric fence around
the layout next time ;-)

Even without much promotion, we had around 50 people
show up to view our layout on Sunday!  There was
even a man who came back a second time with his daughter
so that she could see how many different things can be
done with LEGO.

Ha! I think the guy was more into it than his daughter. She was probably his
"excuse" for coming back ;-) They hung around for quite a while and really
seemed to enjoy it.

I know how much creating things with LEGO means to
me, but it is a nice thing to be able to stimulate the
creativity of kids when they see what I have created.
Our world has become far too serious and pre-packaged,
and we have a _responsibility_ to show folks that
growing up doesn't mean that you have to stop
playing.

Can I use that as an excuse at home for dealing with my non-LEGO significant
other? "Yes dear, I HAVE to build something: it's my responsibility"

All joking aside, I agree with that. I know from talking to people at my
work, no one seems to have any kind of fun, creative hobby. They're all
amazed at the things I build, and not necessarily amazed at what I build,
but rather that I'm doing it in the first place. Sometimes I get a hint of
jealousy, like they wish they could go home and have as much fun as I do!

On that note, I would like to say that we also have
a responsibility to play as much as possible. This
past year has been hard on all of us, I know. The stories
of sad things happening to TexLUG members made me
realize that we need LEGO as much as kids do. When I
get in a groove and stay up all night to make
something, I feel it the next day more than I used
to :-), but it is a release that I don't get with
anything else.

It's great fun and great therapy to sit in a quiet room and let your
creation flow, taking shape in the creations you build. It creates some of
that pure, innocent, childhood joy that we all miss and desire. And you're
right, nothing else I do gives me that.

I know I am preaching to the choir, but I have never
gone to a two-day LEGO event... It may sound corny,
but I "get it" now. It hasn't been all that long
since I came out of my dark ages, but when I woke up this
morning, I felt different. The light is on for good
now.

Having gone to Brickfest, I can tell you that our little meeting was just a
mini BF. It wasn't as long or big, and didn't have as many presentations or
door prizes, but all the components were there. However, it was just as fun.

I've enjoyed reading your comments and the comments of everyone else about
what the meetings do for them. I too share those feelings. The meetings
renew my intrests and creativity. They spark my imagination and remind me
what it's all about.

Thank you, TexLUG.

Yes, thanks! Thanks to everyone who makes up the group!

-TJ