 Organizations / United States / TEXLUG / 244
Re: Perspective of a Burnout -- TEXLUG's Big Train Meeting (Fall 2002)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.texlug
Date:
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 15:47:38 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.texlug, William P. (Pat) Hough writes:

PRE-MEETING:

<SNIPPED for length>

Been there, Pat.  I've been seriously burned out on LEGO before, but for
totally opposite reasons.  After building my four dragons, and after finishing
my story, respectively.  Finishing such massive projects (for me, at least) can
burn me out on building.  But I'm glad to hear that you're recovering ("Hi, I'm
Anthony, and I'm a LEGOholic")

MEETING:

<Again, SNIPPED for length>

Mega dittos on the great stuff at the meeting.  And a big 'me too' for thanking
Laura for setting this all up and NI for allowing us to be there.  Everyone's
creations were fantastic, even if they were sitting next to TJ's crane!

I've uploaded my pictures to brickshelf, which can be found here:

And I've seen Laura's pictures on brickshelf too (sorry if I'm stealing your
thunder, Laura!)

Wondering what spring will bring...

Cheers,

Pat Hough (on deck)

A good question.

I've spoken with my father, and shown him our pictures, and he is today, in
fact, going to talk to some of his contacts here in Houston to see what he can
do.  He says, and I believe rightly so, that my few, and Laura's many pictures
(and anyone elses if he gets access to them) of the kids playing and exploring
our creations  are going to be the major selling point to anyone if we're
going to get a place to set up.  It's all about the children you know.

I've tried to give him our topics, as far as I knew.  Trains and space.  He
threw in Medieval because of my dragons which I doubt will be dismantled
between now and then.  He also threw in robotics and engineering, pointing
directly to TJ's Crane.  TJ, if you dismantle that crane, and it turns out to
be our big draw, I hope you have something cool to play with in the spring! :)

So far, my father's varied contacts spread from Boeing's PR department to an ex
astronaunt who's now the head of a robotics company, and even to NASA itself.
One can only hope that either one of these will pan out, or someone else will
have better luck.

As a side note, and please don't anyone take this the wrong way, I do not mean
this as an insult or judgement, but I think we're going to need higher turn
outs by members in the future.  Ten people and their MOCs is a great thing, but
think of what twenty people and their MOCS could do, or *gasp* thirty.  The
more people and involvement we have by our members, the more we will succeed in
impressing whoever hosts us, and perhaps they will even volunteer to have us
back.  But if we only get a few members to show up, whoever hosts us is going
to be VERY disappointed in us, and will probably never take us seriously again.
This type of thing really deserves our attention, I think.

Anyway, that's all I have to say about that.

Christina and I had a fabulous time, and like Pat said, it was fantastic to see
all the kids finding so much joy from our hard work.  This is certainly
something I'd like to see again!

Till then, have fun!

--Anthony
http://www.ozbricks.com/ikros