Subject:
Gus wins Line Maze! Also: Next SMART meeting on May 18th
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Tue, 7 May 2002 17:37:22 GMT

Last weekend Gus Jansson participated in the Robothon 2002 at the Seattle
Center.  Last year he won first place with his LEGO maze-solver.  This year
competition was sure to be much more fierce (how can regular robot-heads let
a *LEGO* robot win?!?) so much more effort went into creating, optimizing
and tuning his all-LEGO robot.  And amazingly enough, his was the only robot
that completed the entire course!  So Congradulations, Gus, on a second
victory in this event!

Here are a few pictures Gus took of his robot, and a few of the competitors:

And here are some photos taken by members of the Seattle Robot Society of
the entire Robothon event:
http://www.dotphoto.com/go.asp?l=rickwashburn&p=welcome&AID=267256
You can see how big the maze was in some of these pictures.  (12x12 feet)

Finally, a reminder of next weekend's SMART meeting: we'll be getting
together on May 18th, at the Redmond Regional Library, at 2pm.  See the
"Next Meeting" link on the news home page for more details.

This gives you just over a week to build your robot for our mini-challenge,
which is to have the robot find a 100 watt light bulb placed near the floor
(we'll aim for having it 6 to 8 inches off the floor, but no guarantees) and
stop next to it.  What's so hard about that?  Well, we'll put a few of the
tables on their edges, and there will be chairs, people, and maybe boxes or
other obstacles that you will need to navigate around.  Also, you might be
able to see the light from some places, but not be able to drive directly
towards it.  Imagine, for instance, two tables on their sides, at a 90
degree angle, with a two inch gap between them.  The light might easily be
seen between the tables, but your robot might not fit through the gap.  So
think of a good strategy for finding the light, and build a robot to do so.
Remember that while we'll make every effort to reduce the ambient light to a
minimum, there will undoubtedly still be some, so do what you need to get
your light sensor to only look for the bulb.  (A shroud for instance.)

We look forward to seeing you all there.

--
  David Schilling