Re: Challenge Ideas
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 06:13:05 GMT

Hi Nathan,

In lugnet.org.us.smart, Nathan Nesbit writes:
I have a couple of ideas for a challege

   1) Line tracking with occasional breaks in the line.  The breaks could
occur regularly after some distance and be of a given distance.
I like this idea.  Another variation I have thought of is a "connect the
dots" tracking.  In this case the dots would be a fixed distance apart
(maybe 3") and the direction could change by +- 90 (or less) degrees from
dot to dot.

   2) Find the "token".  A round ring like the sumo ring.  White with a
black line around it.  Somewhere in the arena is a "token" which the robot
needs to find.  The token could be an object that sticks up or could be a
piece of black (or other) tape.  The robot starts dead center facing a
random direction.  The winner is the one that finds the token in the
shortest amount of time.  A time limit could be imposed to prevent waiting
all day for a lost robot.  Leaving the ring would disqualify the robot.

One of our early mini-challenges was something like this.  That time the
robots had to "walking" and they had to find a block covered in reflective tape.

   3) Line tracking, but instead of the fastest time, have a goal for a
given time, say 20 seconds.  The robot that completes closest to 20 seconds
wins.

This is a great idea.  It sounds a little like Road Rally where the goal is
to be as accurate as possible, not fastest.  Instead of stating the target
in terms of a fixed time, it should be a target speed, perhaps 2"/sec.  On
the day of the challenge we will as accuratle as possible measure the length
of the official course and then determine what the target time should be.
If the course turns out to be 40" then the target time will be 20 seconds.
I know David has created a RCX based timeing device that would be perfect
for this challenge.

   4) Sumo w/ walking robots - no wheels allowed (well at least not for
thier traditional purpose).

Another great idea.

Lets discuss these and others at the next SMART meeting.

Gus