Subject:
A few reminders...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 19:18:48 GMT

First of all, I just talked to Vikki at Digilennium and she still has a lot
of Lego Mindstorms kits for sale at $179.99.  She had ordered the kits to
have before Christmas and Lego didn't deliver until the day before, so she
totally missed the Christmas sales.  Anyway, she is a big supporter of the
Workshop3D RCX challenges and it would be great for us to show our
appreciation by stopping by her store and picking up a few kits.

http://www.workshop3d.com/rcx/digilennium.jpg

Speaking of the Workshop 3D challenges, I hope you all know that on April 13
is the next one.  The main events will be basically the same as before but
there have been some revisions to the rules.  If you are a Code-Only Line
Tracking kind of person you may want to checkout the new robot.  It features
a light sensor that is shrouded from ambient light as well as a choice of
three wheels.  Of course you can still adjust the height and horizontal
position of the light sensor.

http://www.workshop3d.com/rcx/challenge4.htm

The other thing that you should all be aware of is that the Workshop 3D
challenge this year will coincide with a robotics exhibit at the Pacific
Science Center.  The dates for this event is Wednesday, April 10 through
Sunday, April 14.  I know David has made a request for exhibition robots to
display at this event and I encourage all of you to consider doing that.
Since many of you will have your RCXs tied up in robots for the RCX
challenge, you can at least display the robot that you will compete with on
Saturday.  My goal is to get all of my robots ready by Wednesday so that
they can be on display until the challenge on Saturday.  If there are enough
robots on display then I think the PSC visitors will have fun speculating on
which robots they think will win.  Everyone who competes should also
consider leaving their robots for display through Sunday.

And last but not least, the next SMART meeting is coming up in just over two
weeks, March 30.  If you haven't started yet on the mini-challenge then you
are in good company.

http://www.lugnet.com/org/us/smart/~48/meetings/

See you at the meeting,
Gus