Subject:
April 25th, 2009 SMART meeting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Wed, 15 Apr 2009 04:17:29 GMT

Sorry for the somewhat late notice, I've been out of town and didn't realize I
hadn't posted what the next mini-challenge was yet.

Our next SMART meeting is on April 25th, at 2pm at DigiPen.

The mini-challenge we voted on at the last meeting was to do obstacle sumo:
build a sumo robot that will push it's opponent off a field with a heavy
obstacle in the middle. The obstacle will be a 2 quart milk carton, either
standing upright or lying on its side. The field will be 3' diameter, white
center, with a 2" black edge. Robots, to take part in the mini competition
should have a 12"x12" maximum size, and weigh under 2 lb. Robots will start on
opposite sides of the obstacle, with at least a tiny portion of them over the
black edge, but otherwise the orientation is up to the owner. First robot to
touch the ground loses.

Robots should have a 5 second wait before starting to move, and each round will
be about a minute long. We haven't decided what the result of a match will be if
you push the obstacle off, but chances are it won't happen. Besides being heavy,
we'll put a non-stick pad under it.

The idea is that you can't just blindly use your ultrasound sensor to find your
opponent, and also that you can't just try pushing your opponent straight across
the middle of the field.

I hope there are a lot of entries! This sounds like it will be a very
challenging event!

See everyone there in two weeks!

--
  David Schilling