Re: January 2007 SMART meeting notes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 2007 04:43:57 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.smart, Steve Hassenplug wrote:

I like Gus' line-following dog. • Thank you.

How well do the ears work?  Could it turn towards sounds?

Steve
This robot was just finished before the meeting so the ears went on but I never
got a chance to program them.  The idea is just as you describe and I did try
use the View feature to see how directional the sound sensor is.  My preliminary
conclusion is that the sensors are not directional enough for me to tell where a
sound comes from, but perhaps I'm wrong.  I will try to come up with some code
to see if I can get this feature to work.  I will let you know.

The main emphasis of the dog is the mechanics for walking.  It uses three
motors: one drive motor, which is the source of all reciprocating motion, and a
motor for each side that controls the step size.  These step size controllers
use the motors like servos.  When set in the middle of their range, the legs
move up and down but there is no forward or backwards motion.  It basically
looks like it is marching in place.  When both are turned forwards, up to a
maximum of about 120 degrees, the feet make a forwards, positive, step resulting
in the dog walking forwards.  When the step control motors are turned in the
opposite direction, up to -120 degrees, the step is reversed and the dog walks
backwards, even though the drive motor has not changed direction.  By setting
the left and right motors to different positions, the dog can turn in what is
essentially a walking skid steer, but with fully synchronized legs.

Gus