Re: Brickheap Wars - September 30
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 2006 22:05:58 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.smart, Mark Kenworthy wrote:
All - We are hosting another Brickheap War event! This event will be held
Saturday afternoon, September 30, from 12-5
(http://www.robothon.org/robothon/schedule.php) in the Center House at Seattle
Center (Conference Room A).

The space we have for the event at Robothon is a bit limited, so we will only be
able to support 8 teams, and each team can have a maximum of 4 participants
(adults and children combined).  We are holding two team slots for SMART
members.  Please let me know ASAP if you want to lead a SMART team, so I can put
you down as a team leader and you can start forming your team.  We can have more
than 2 SMART teams, but the other 6 team slots are being filled as we get
requests, so again, please let me know ASAP if you want to lead a team.

You can see more information about this upcoming event at
http://www.kenworthyfamily.net/lego/brickheap_wars.htm.

Please let me know if you have any questions.  I hope to see all of you at this
event!

Mark

Here's the standard "one-week" (give or take a bit) message: In a little over a
week (September 30th) we'll be having our next SMART meeting. This meeting will
be at Robothon, taking place at the Seattle Center in the Center House (note:
NOT our usual location) and will be a BrickHeap Wars event (*1). Teams need to
sign up ahead of time. Post on this message board if you would like to start or
join a team or send an email to Mark Kenworthy or myself. (Remove the spam
blockers before sending email. If you don't receive a confirmation email from us
in a day or two, we didn't get the message, so verify the address, and send
again.)

There is still room for more teams, and while teams are limited to four members,
if you sign up now, there should still be plenty of room for everyone who
desires to participate to be on a team.

For those who are interested, we ARE allowing the NXT to be used in the
competition for those teams that desire it. It probably won't offer more than a
very mild advantage for the event we have in mind, and then only if you already
are very good at building and programming with it. The RCX will be more than
adequate for the task.

--
  David Schilling

Note (*1): BrickHeap Wars is an event where teams build and program robots in a
limited amount of time, to compete with the robots of other teams. The event is
loosely based on Junk Yard Wars. Instructions for what sort of robot to build
are given at the beginning of the event. An identical pile of LEGO parts is
provided to each team (though teams need to bring their own electronic parts:
RCX or NXT, motors, sensors, wires, and programming environment -- a computer
with software, and communications hardware).