Subject:
Upcoming SMART meetings
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2006 21:43:08 GMT

At our last SMART meeting we decided that the next meeting (September 30th) will
be held at Robothon, in the Centerhouse, Seattle Center. The meeting will be
another BrickHeap Wars, and teams will need to sign up ahead of time. More
details to follow soon, but you can start thinking about your teams already.
Expect the building to commence at noon. http://www.robothon.org/

The following meeting will be back at DigiPen and take place on the 18th of
November. The mini-challenge is to build a swinging robot. We'll provide a thin
rope that your robot needs to hook onto. It will be attached at two locations,
18" apart, to form a 'U' shape. There will be several different lengths of rope
for the swings, so your robot will need to figure out what the proper period of
oscillation is each time you want to demonstrate it. *Don't* hard code the times
for swinging -- that's one thing that definitely won't work! While the robots
can be very simple mechanically, this can be a very difficult challenge, so I
recommend starting earlier on it. Don't leave it for the last week. If anyone
has questions, post here, or email me.
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/David/SMART/Samples/Arenas/swingingrobots.gif

Finally, there's a video I just ran across with Gus and myself discussing the
Crate Contraptions. Enjoy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4pTP0CPI8s

--
  David Schilling