Re: November 20th, 2004 SMART Meeting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Sun, 14 Nov 2004 06:54:31 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.smart, Nick Dragon wrote:
In lugnet.org.us.smart, David Schilling wrote:

The mini-challenge is to build a robot that will pick up a set of blocks
that are placed on a 3/4" black line, and build one or more stacks of
blocks out of them. The robot can build the towers anywhere it wants, on
or off the line.
For a simpler challenge, build only two block high towers, and assume the
line
the blocks are placed on is straight. For a more difficult
challenge, build towers as high as you can, and follow a line with bends
in it. (Blocks will be placed on the line at least six inches past any
bend.)
In either case, the blocks will be placed at random intervals on the
line, with at least a small separation between blocks. They'll be
placed 'neatly' in their orientation (two sides parallel to the line).
I'm looking forward to seeing many interesting ideas for how to do this!
--
   David Schilling

Hi David

This challenge sounds like fun.  Some questions.
Will the blocks be white?
How many blocks will there be (approx.)?
How long is the course?  (to gauge speed to complete in 3 minutes)
I read some of your previous notes and understand that the challenge is 3
minutes long and no part of your vehicle may touch the blocks when done.

Thanks
Nick

For the BrickHeap Wars competition there were strict rules about what and how
the robots had to work. For our mini-challenges, we leave much of the
interpretation up to you. Do what you can. Challenge yourself to build the best
robot you can.

The reason we do mini-challenges is to learn. You'll learn the most from
stretching yourself as much as possible. But you'll also learn a lot by just
attempting the basics of the challenge, as well as from seeing what approaches
others take, what works and what doesn't.

Specific answers to your questions: I'll be bringing somewhere around 30 white
blocks, the line will be 3/4" wide black tape on a white background; I'll have
several versions of it that you can use. At a guess, they are all around eight
or so feet long. You'll be welcome to place the blocks to your own discretion,
but if you prefer to leave it to me, I'll place the blocks an average of three
or four inches from each other (some closer, some further).

As with most of our mini-challenges, though, you are always welcome to bring
your own setup: lines, blocks, whatever.

And yes, the idea is to leave free-standing towers.

Looking forward to seeing your robot in a week! In fact, I hope to see a lot of
interesting ways of doing this!

--
  David Schilling