Re: September 18th 2004 SMART Meeting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 2004 01:59:25 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.smart, David Schilling wrote:
In order to allow people to participate in (or at least attend) Robothon, the
next SMART meeting will be on September 18th. This month instead of a
mini-challenge, we'll have a BrickHeap Wars. This is a time-restricted team
robot building exercise. I'll bring four identical 'heaps' of bricks, everyone
will split into four teams when they get there, and the challenge will be
announced at the beginning of the meeting. Teams will have only to the end of
the meeting to build and program their robots. Then we'll see who did best.

Those who have done this before know how much fun it is. I hope to see a lot of
new people try it out this year! The only downside is that to give time for
building, the meeting starts a little earlier, and is a little longer than
normal.

I'll post more details in the next couple of weeks. The only thing I need is to
have at least four people (since there are four teams) who will bring laptops
with Mindstorms programming software on it. Please let me know if you'll be able
to bring a laptop, so that we can make sure we have enough.

There's a bit under two weeks until the next SMART meeting. The meeting will be
a BrickHeap Wars, where people get into teams to build robots to accomplish a
challenge given at the start of the meeting using a heap of bricks that has been
supplied for the purpose.

I need at least four people to bring laptop computers for this meeting. If you
are coming and have a laptop, could you **please let me know**, so that I can
make sure that we have one for each team? (Besides the laptop itself, make sure
you bring a working IR tower, and whatever software you feel comfortable
programming the RCX with!)

The meeting will start at 2pm sharp, so try to arrive a few minutes earlier to
get into teams. The meeting will be in the cafeteria this time (more tables) so
that's another reason to arrive a bit early -- to give you an extra few minutes
to find the cafeteria.

The building/programming part of the meeting will run until 5:30, and then we'll
let the robots compete against each other. This shouldn't take more than about
15 minutes. So factoring in cleanup, we'll be out of the building by 6pm. That's
a little longer than a normal meeting, but every year we've done this people
have asked if they can't have more time. This year, since we are meeting at
DigiPen, we CAN!

After the meeting for anyone interested, we'll head over to Red Robin for
dinner.

Hope to see everyone there!

--
  David Schilling