Subject:
January 25th SMART Meeting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Sat, 11 Jan 2003 06:53:13 GMT

January 25th will be SMART's second anniversary. As usual, we are meeting in
the Redmond library, room 2, at 2pm.

The mini-challenge is to build a robot that can wander over a table, looking
for, and stopping on a 2-inch black square, without falling off the table.
The black square can be anywhere on the table (except the corners) and your
robot will be randomly placed somewhere else on the table. See if you can
come up with some solution besides just randomly wandering around on the table.

Besides the mini-challenge, we'll also have our first go at our new
maxi-challenge. The maxi-challenge is a figure-8 racing competition, and if
you are interested, read the post here:
http://news.lugnet.com/org/us/smart/?n=142. If you would like to bring a
first-attempt robot for this, and haven't requested an ID number yet, please
do so. See the instructions in the post I just mentioned. This more serious
challenge will continue at the next two meetings.

Finally, it's pretty short notice, but if anyone has a robot that they would
like to exhibit at this year's BricksWest conference, there will be a
shipment of LEGO models sent from the northwest to Legoland right after our
meeting. So if you have an interesting and reasonably robust robot, bring it
to the meeting, along with the program on a floppy disk, and a description
of what it is/does and how to use it written on paper. (Include your name, a
phone number and an address so I can get the robot back to you after the
conference.) I or someone I trust will be watching these robots at all times
the exhibit is open to the public.

Hope to see everyone there at the meeting!

--
  David Schilling