Subject:
SMART Maxi-Challenge: Figure-8 Racing Rules
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 01:07:42 GMT

The purpose of our having a Maxi-Challenge is to learn more about building
and programming robots. I hope that this challenge will accomplish that. The
fact that it will be competitive, and a lot of fun to watch will be icing on
the cake! In order to learn something about building and programming robots,
you'll need to participate. Bringing your robots, in whatever state of
completion they may be, to each of the next three meetings will allow you to
share with others, and learn from what they've done. You'll also be able to
ask specific questions about your robot if you bring it, working or not.

The challenge that we voted on was Figure-8 Racing. Below are the rules.

First of all, these rules are subject to change based on discussion and
discoveries that we make as we go. We'll attempt to keep them as close as
possible to these, so that total redesigns aren't required. But we want to
be flexible if it turns out the task is too difficult, or even impossible.

Purpose:
  To build a robot that competes with other robots when racing around a
Figure-8 track. Each race will be ten laps. Two robots (and possibly four,
if this becomes feasible or even necessary) will start in the gray center
section, all facing the same direction. But this direction will not be
determined until race time. That is, the first curve may be clockwise or
counter-clockwise.

Building and Programming restrictions:
  Robots must fit in a 6"x8" rectangle, with no part of the robot at any
time during the race coming out of that rectangle. Robots must be
autonomous, and may not broadcast any messages at any time, save the
identification message described below.
  Robots must be built out of Lego pieces only. No glue, or modified pieces
are allowed, though custom sensors are okay, if you wish to make or buy
them. If you email me, I'll suggest some places to get custom sensors, if
you are interested. Note, however, that they are usually fairly expensive.
  To make the starting as fair as possible, all races will be started by
using a remote control. **Program 1** is where you should put your program!
If you are not using the standard Lego firmware for programming your racer,
you will need to figure out how to detect when the "P1" button on the remote
is pressed.

Track:
  The dimensions of the official track will be an 18" wide, white band with
a 24" inner radius. The inside radius will be black, at least 6" wide, and
will be teardrop shaped. The gray square in the intersection will extend six
inches in each direction. The outer edge will be at least 6" wide. See
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/David/SMART/Samples/racetrack.gif for what
all this gobbledy-gook means. Note that this picture is not quite to scale.
I'll post one that is, later.

Identification of Robots:
  A robot must, as it is about to enter the gray intersection, broadcast a
single message that is its ID number. This is the only time a robot may
broadcast a message, and if it doesn't broadcast this message, it will be
removed, and disqualified for that race.
  ID numbers must be obtained ahead of time by writing me an email. (You may
have more than one, if you like.) This way all robots will be guaranteed of
having a unique number. Send an email to david at sunteleia (dot com, or
course), with a subject of "SMART Figure-8 Robot ID Request". Requesting an
ID doesn't obligate you to create or bring a robot, but it will help us
write some programs for monitoring track times, etc., for the robots that
race. In your email request, you may include a name for your robot if you
like. (You can change it at any time, if you wish.)

Racing Rules:
  Your robot must attempt to stay on the track, and must follow the figure-8
path, going clockwise around one loop, and counter-clockwise around the
other. If your robot gets off the track, for whatever reason, its first
priority should be to get back on.
  What you do at the intersection is up to you. The reason the other robot
broadcasts its ID when it's about to enter the intersection is to give you
warning of a potential collision. If you haven't yet entered the
intersection when you receive such a message, you may decide to slow down,
or alter your path, keep right on going, or even speed up. Note that your
robot should also be able to handle whatever your opponent does as well.
  Robots may not purposefully damage other robots. They also may not damage
the track.

Starting Suggestions:
  If you're interested in participating, request an ID for your robot (see
"Identification of Robots" above).
  Create a simple track at home. I suggest a large sheet of white cardboard,
foamboard or bristle board, on which you create a circle using black tape,
or marker. Put a wide gray stripe across the track at some point. Later you
will probably want to create a more accurate track, but this small one will
probably still be quite useful.
  Build some sample robots that let you figure out how to steer around the
circle. Program your robot to broadcast the message whenever it detects the
gray area. After you get that much done, I suggest that you get the robot to
alternate which side of the track it drives on (inside, or outside) each
time it goes around.
  Later you'll want to put a kleenix box or something on the track to see if
your robot can navigate around it.
  Don't be afraid to post questions here in this discussion group if you
don't want to wait until the next meeting!

--
  David Schilling