 Organizations / United States / RichLUG / 213
212  |  214
Subject:
7/28 Meeting Recap
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.richlug
Date:
Sun, 29 Jul 2001 04:11:06 GMT

As expected, the turnout for today's meeting was limited.  Stephen, Bert and
I were the only members in attendance for our 3 hour get together.  We did
have a total of about 12 people stop by and talk with us though none of
these were potential members.  Mainly they were children with parents in tow.

However, a couple of sets of these parent/kids combos did make the effort to
come today specifically because they had read about the meeting on the sign
posted with the display.  I had also hung a couple of posters out on the
display and on the door to the meeting room encouraging folks to stop in and
visit.

Everyone continued to be very complimentary about the display - especially
the librarians themselves.  I had the chance to speak with Lisa and we
talked about having an "event" some time in the future that would include a
big display and hands-on activities.  She is very excited about the idea of
this and is already talking about trying to order LEGO related books and
possibly even having the library kick in for door prizes (which by the way
I'm willing to contribute some of my smaller sets for such a purpose if the
occasion is ever called for).

Based on our conversation, it would appear that such an event would take
place sometime next year (Spring was mentioned - I'd say let's think about
Spring Break week when kids are out of school).  I told Lisa that we'll
definitely be getting back with her about this idea.

Back to today - it was fun to talk to the kids and adults that stopped by. I
got the impression that the ones who showed up in response to the display
info were expecting something bigger than what was going on.

What was going on was that I did bring some track and trains and did a small
set up.  I also built some sets from Brickfest - a Belville set, the 4556
Train Station, and the Alpha Team Helicopter (purchased at the LoM Truck
stop at TRU in Fairfax).  Stephen put together a Snowspeeder.

As usual I had a good time - I enjoyed just having a couple of hours set
aside to build, and gab about LEGO.

That's all for now.  Sorry that everyone else couldn't make it.  See you
next week for the teardown (there was also some discussion as to whether we
were having a meeting next week or just grabbing our stuff and splitting - I
for one can stick around for while if others do).

G.