Subject:
Revamping of the NELUG mailing list.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 13:36:25 GMT

I mentioned this briefly at the meeting but as many of you know I would like to
revamp the mailing list to make it more meaningful.  As some of you know I felt
I had to create a smaller mailing list to discuss issues that have come up
lately.  This is because even I don't really trust the security of the mailing
list anymore for discussing internal NELUG matters.

My initial proposal, which is up for debate, follows.

Because we currently do not have a dues system we cannot very well tie being on
the mailing list to that.

We are also a fairly widely dispersed group geographically (New England not the
current membership) so I find it difficult to tie the membership to meeting
attendance because if we did everyone on the list would be from Eastern
Massachusetts with one poor sole from Connecticut and it sounds like a Rhode
Island member soon.  That being said I am sure there are people in Vermont and
Northern Maine and New Hampshire that are interested in NELUG but just can't
make it to meetings.  I would like to include those people because in time I
would like to be able to have people set up meetings throughout New England
without it being tied just to Eastern Mass.

Now while I like having membership relatively open to outsiders I think that
the NELUG newsgroup here on LUGNET satisfies much of that desire.

So my proposal at the moment would be to have the mailing list open to anyone
from New England that meets our other membership requirements.  The list would
be close and managed by 3 or 4 active members that would have
addministrative authority to add and remove members from the list.

Although it is not a concern now we may want to make special provisions for
active members that may live just outside New England either in New York or
Canada.

I don't know if some of you would like to make this even more restrictive and
tie it to active members only and some sort of percentage of attendance at
meetings.  We can discuss that option too.  I will not be making any changes
right away and a message would have to be sent out to the current list before
we change anything.

I really want to be as open as possible to outsiders but I also want to feel
comfortable using the list.

Thanks,

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group