Re: Age limitations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 2000 18:32:43 GMT

In lugnet.org.us, Shiri Dori writes:
Can minors attend with a parent/guardian?

Sorry but no. The primary reason for this is that for most of our meeting we
just sit around talking. Our feeling is that this would be both boring for
the minor attending and for the parent/guardian in attendance. Even if the
minor is interested in the discussion we really don't want "board out of
their skull" parents sitting off in the corner wishing they could leave.

Well I'm not asking for this. I don't *want* my parents do be present. They
probably don't want to be present. (Although they could if you required it.)

Let me assure you, I would not be bored by "sitting around talking".

Whoever wrote this about being bored by "just sit[ting] around
talking" must not remember being younger than 18.

Teenagers are not inherently bored by sitting and talking.
Particularly teenagers as bright and sociable as Shiri seems to
be.

I can't imagine not extending membership privilegs to
high-schoolers, but, obviously, since I'm not a member, that's not
my call.  But I vividly remember being 16, running BBSes and attending
largely social functions such as computer-oriented user groups.  Having
a LEGO user group available to me at that time would have been
wonderful.  (For one thing, it would have prevented me from sliding into
a dark age ....)

If I was a member of the NELUG group, I'd agitate to lower the
admission age to 16, the minimum age to acquire a driver's license
in most states.

What I'd recommend, if the age requirement is considered irrevocable
by a majority of members, that NELUG members give some consideration
to having a guest clause.  IE, any member can bring a guest along
to meetings.  If that guest is under the age limit, their parents
must be required to sign whatever liability agreement necessary.

--

Jeff <jthompson@esker.com>   "Float on a river, forever and ever, Emily"