Re: Age limitations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.org.us
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 19:51:39 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Richard Franks writes:
In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Eric Joslin writes:

I don't think that probation or age limits for certain events is necessarily
a workable solution, for reasons I'm not going to go into here (although I
certainly will at a NELUG meeting where it's discussed).

That is NELUGs right. However, by discussing it here, you might get to hear
opinions from other people who have run organisations and gain from their
experience too.

I'm not criticising your decision, but I do think that all LUGs stand to
benefit from an open discussion of these issues.

I have to say that as someone who is involved in starting a LUG which
currently will be open to non-adults, I am strongly interested in the
reasoning. Perhaps I am missing something terribly important. Even if I'm not
missing something important, it's useful to understand the reasoning to be
able to address the concerns when they are raised by someone in our group.

I also have some interest specifically in NELUG since I could be a potential
member, and have a nephew who could be a potential member of a less
restrictive group.

Of course NELUG is not obligated to change it's policies, or even explain
them, but it seems like it would help calm the fires if the policy was
explained (right now, I have to admit that to me the policy seems unfounded, I
also admit that I haven't read every last post from the previous discussions,
but I don't remember an extensive discussion [I have seen references to that
discussion, with the comment to the effect of: "we won't go into that because
that's a dead horse already"]).

follow-ups to: lugnet.org.us

Frank