Re: Tech Tower
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 2004 21:36:36 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Lewis Valentine wrote:
   In lugnet.announce, Alfred Speredelozzi wrote:
   Hello,

snip

Anyway, without further ado, I would like to present Tech Tower from the Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta, GA. It has appeared now in MichLUG and NELUG shows, and will soon be travelling to Brickfest2004.

snip the pics

   Full write up is here: http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/4385

Brickshelf Gallery: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=87999

snip

Let me know what you think! Go Jackets! :)

-Alfred

I love it (being an alumni myself)

Missing ‘T’ and all.

Maybe you should leave the ‘T’ on and wait for an alumni/Lego guy to take it off. Just like the real thing.

Maybe you can hook up an (mindspring) alarm to it. Just like the real thing.

Maybe it will not work. Just like the real thing.

lol

Oh, maybe you didn’t notice (the picture, I admit, isn’t that good), but there are a group of students actively employed in “stealing the T.” Just look to the left of the ECH and you’ll see him there. He’s blending in nicely, given that he’s wearing a red shirt up against the red building, but the T is in his hands. There are also several ofther students below aiding his efforts.

I am not sure if I decided to dress them in Red because they were trying to be sneakily camoflaged or if I thought that some University (sic) of Georgia 1 students were trying their hand at the prank. (Ok, that can’t be it, because they would still be trying to figure out how to get up there.) Actually, I think I just had a soccer bus handy, and they all had red shirts.

I hadn’t realized the Tower alarms didn’t work. Oh, except to say that the T went on vacation a few years back, so that was a clue. ;)

http://cyberbuzz.gatech.edu/nique/issues/summer1999/7.9.99/eds2.html http://cyberbuzz.gatech.edu/nique/issues/fall1997/nov14/news3.html

I don’t think I will be adding Mindstorms to this model, (Hey I don’t even have Mindstorms, dang it.) But maybe I will do something computer controlled in the future. As it is, I was busy reminding myself about gear ratios for an upcoming project...

Anyway, I am glad you enjoyed it!

-Alfred

1 I didn’t even go there and I am affected by this rivalry. Crazy, huh?