Re: Winter Details
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 21:54:23 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Shaun Sullivan wrote:
Hi All,

Although I wasn't there, I had a great time scanning through some pictures of
NELUG's holiday-scene display (which took place last night):

I cross-posted this to .town and .trains because there are some fantastic
details in there worthy of any winter-time setup.  I *love* those snowball
effects!!!  (If this has been done before I apologize, but I wasn't aware of
it).  The ice sculptures, the grinch ... it really looks great!

Beautiful job, guys.

-s

Thanks for noticing, Shaun!  I posted my pictures from yesterday's display at
the LEGO Store and then stepped out of the house for a little while to await
folder moderation and get caught up with the Real World.  I get back and you've
already found the pictures and posted for me!

For those who don't know what we're talking about, NELUG was invited to do a
small holiday-themed display at the Burlington MA LEGO Store for a special sale
event that took place yesterday evening.  The mall charged admission with
proceeds distributed to about 80 different charitable/non-profit organizations.
We put together a small 4'x4' town display with a winter flair.  My fingers
still hurt from sticking down all those white 1x1 plates that we used to
simulate snow.

The display featured (among other things) some of Eric Kingsley's Pick-a-Brick
Victorians, Mike Crowley's Grinch and Gazebo, Joe Comeau's Ice Sculptures and
Snow Blower Dude, Tom Duggan's Snow Plow / Sander, and my Santa's Sleigh.  We
tried to achieve the detail density and humor level of a typical NELUG train
layout.  Many other small details escaped the camera lens.

The event was a great success.  The store was as crowded for most of the evening
as I have ever seen it, and the manager was very happy with our display.  The
crowd had a bit more of a hands-on mentality than you find at a typical train
show, but there were no disasters.  We all had a lot of fun talking with the
many people who stopped by to check it out.

- Chris.