Re: NELUG Layout at the Greenberg Train Show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Mon, 17 Nov 2003 22:14:46 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Tim David wrote:
And as usual, I had my automated level crossings running, although I spent the
first hour of opening day finishing the setup.  I tried a new gate design, but
ended up switching back to the original gates mid-show due to numerous technical
problems with the new design.  Here are two videos showing different crossings
in action.  (The hand that appears at the end of the first video is someone
pointing at a detail on the display, and has nothing to do with the fact that
the gate successfully raised itself.)

   http://www.drvegetable.com/nelug/greenberg1103/rrxing01.mov  (5.6 MB)
   http://www.drvegetable.com/nelug/greenberg1103/rrxing02.mov  (4.3 MB)

Anyway, these oughtta test my web server's bandwidth...  Enjoy and please let us
know what you think!

- Chris.
they work nicely, tho I think you should move the 'upwind' sensor further away
so the barrier is down before the train gets there

Thanks!  Good suggestion.  I usually do have the sensors further upstream than I
did for this show.  As I mentioned earlier, I had started out with a new gate
design on the layout that operates more quickly, therefore more lead time was
not necessary.  But the new gates kept breaking down, so I swapped in the old
gates during the show.  I didn't move the sensors back to compensate for this,
although I did sneak under the table to recompile my "TrainLab" software to use
the original motor timing.

The other thing that limits choices of sensor placement is that they cannot be
placed on curved rails.  This is because the space between the ties is not wide
enough for the 2x2 plate in the base of my sensors, and the studs on adjacent
ties do not run parallel.  So sometimes I am forced to put a sensor either way
too close or way too far away if a crossing ends up being the exact wrong
distance from a curve.

- Chris.