Re: Oct, Nov, and Feb Train shows [was Re: Train show]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Sat, 18 Oct 2003 01:33:20 GMT

"Christopher Masi" <cjmasi@*nogarbageplease*rcn.com> wrote in message
<snip>
If no one in NELUG is interested in doing the show, then we in Central
and Western Mass have to decide if we are going to try to pull of the
show on our own as a committed group of individuals. Which I think we
could do if we really wanted. It wouldn't be as good as a NELUG show,
but it might not be any worse than some of the real model rail roaders
that I saw last weekend.

I think we have a classic chicken an egg scenario.  Basically, I would love
to do this show, but I can tell you that I can't commit to doing the whole
weekend.  In fact, I suspect a majority of the current core membership is in
the same boat...what that means is that I doubt there would be enough
interest from the current core membership (being mostly Eastern Mass based).
*BUT* the point is the that doesn't mean NELUG can't do the event.  If the
Western Mass folks can commit to the event (that is, ensure you have at
least a couple of people for each day, including setup) and you're willing
to act as the coordinators for the event, then it doesn't matter if none of
the Eastern Mass folks can commit to the whole event.  This is the ideal
situation for the simple reason that it begins to get you guys off the
ground *and* it lets the Eastern Mass people participate without the need to
commit to the whole thing.  This is *exactly* what Eric and I (and many
other current core members) have been talking about recently on the mailing
list.  We *sincerely* want to see this kind of interaction happen and it
sounds like the perfect opportunity to try it.

So the question remains, is there enough commitment out by the western part
of the state?  If there is, then NELUG has a new show to plan for.

There is a Greenberg show in Wilmington MA the weekend of the 16th. • Hope to see
you there.

Should I take this to mean that you don't need any volunteers for that
show?

Actually, just the opposite.  Every member is *always* welcome to either
participate or just stop by a show.  If you want to contribute MOCs, just be
sure to post on the mailing list as we try to figure out our layout (so your
stuff can be incorporated).  If you don't have MOCs to contribute but want
to help setup, man, or breakdown, just show up!  If you do want to do this,
again, it is helpful to post, because most shows only give out so many
passes.  We obviously give the pass to those people directly contributing to
the show first...I don't think we have gone over the limit yet (okay, we
have, but it seems those without the "exhibitor" badge have just shown up
early enough so that no one cares), but there's always a first time.

- Joe