Re: NELUG Tech Level 2 (medieval) game pictures etc..
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.gaming
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 18:12:50 GMT

Eric Kingsley wrote:
[...]
http://www.nelug.org/bw063001/

On a personal note this was by far the most fun I have had at a Brikwars game
yet.  Many of the rules and scorings finally clicked and I actually had all my
guys scored before the game.  This was my frist Tech level 2 game and I would
have to say I found it much more enjoyable than the higher tech levels.  The
hand to hand combat was fantastic.

Eric Kingsley

This was my first time playing Brikwars and I had a blast!

The gaming was great. Rules, etc were simple enough not to intrude on
game flow, while easily settling any issues of moves that were
"non-standard" (bizarre, even). Thanks to, "The Creator," Mike
Rayhawk's often twisted sense of humor, reading passages aloud from
the rule book was never dull. His having included 'severed heads' as
thrown weapons led one player to try it out, making for some memorable,
if disgusting, moments. Sometimes setting up the LEGO figures for
appropriate representation made our scenes look downright funny.

This game gave me an excuse to dust off my D&D dice after their having
sat unused for decades. Dice rolls between players are always exciting
and lead inevitably to many creative superstitions (though some players
took the more rational route of 'practicing' their die high rolling).
We got in six rounds (I believe), which I wouldn't have thought much,
but actually nearly exhausted the game's scenario. ...it's funny how
those turns go quicker as troops die off.(!)

I wasn't the only newbie there, which made my break-in a little
easier. But even the more experienced players probably learned a thing
or two for next time, and any big screw ups served well as fodder for
our running jokes. Thankfully, nothing was taken too seriously.

Because we teamed up ahead for building troops and fortifications,
most of us met during the week prior. This doubled as a chance to get
to know fellow members. On battle day, we show-and-told our modeling
work as it arrived for integration into the playing field. And later,
pizza lunch time allowed for unrelated conversation.

In the latter part of the game, we actually had a few power drops as
a thrilling electrical storm raged outside!

Thanks, Joe, for bringing doughnuts (Mmmm, DOH-nuts...) and big
thanks to Jorge and his family for hosting once again - providing
us with a *fantastic* space that not only gave us plenty of room,
but kept us away from the ninety-something degree heat outside.

I'll put a few of my game pics up later. And now, I'll leave relating
of lore, legend, and effigy desecration to others...

-Suz.