ANNOUNCEMENT II: More Brikwars !!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 16:21:55 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

All right, I figured it was high time I posted a followup with some
clarifications and suggestions for the upcoming (APRIL 1st) Brikwars
event. These are primarily logistical in nature ... there is one
additional follow-up planned, which will mostly cover specific rules
issues that need to be addressed before the event.  And so, in no
particular order:

1)  Feel free to bring as many creations as possible, but keep the
following idea in mind:  at first, we will probably try to limit each
person to 200 or so points worth of vehicles/troops/etc.  The rationale
behind this is that the game can become very large, crowded, and
unwieldy
if everyone is providing dozens of troops, robots, vehicles.  Also, try
keep the following ratio in mind:  about 5 regular troops to every
vehicle
makes a good balance of big brutes and little cannon fodders :)  If we
find
ourselves able to handle the 200 point limit, we will increase the
amount
to allow people to field more items.  There's nothing like some
reinforcements to spice things up ;)

2)  The Brikwars rules technically entail destroying every items into
its
component pieces when it is destroyed by enemy fire.  We will allow
latitude in this - physical dismantling of the vehicle is at the
discretion
of the builder.  Some of us would prefer not to see some of our long
arduous hours of work decimated in front of our eyes ;)

3)  Please try to provide a couple of landscape and scenery pieces as
well
as your armies.  The more detailed and explicit the background is, the
better the overall ambiance and feel of the game.  If possible, we would

love to have every person contribute at least one minifig-scale building

... if we can get enough of these, there can be a whole urban section of

the playing field, giving a very "Saving Private Ryan"-esque feel to the

fighting.  Scenery can also be the little things - mailboxes,
streetlight, power lines, anything that can add to the overall feel of
either an urban or a rural landscape.  Additionally, any BURP mountains,
foliage, green baseplates, etc. etc. can lend a great deal of ambiance,
especially since not all of the landscape wil be urban.

4)  The Charles River Museum of Industry has graciously agreed to allow
us
to use their room for the entire day for *free*.  This is no small gift,

since they typically charge $600 for a full day rental.  Therefore, we
would like to at least make a charitable donation to the Museum in
recognition of their goodwill and generosity.  If everybody might be so
bold as to be willing to donate $20.00 or so (non-mandatory, of course,
and
we won't be taking names), I think it would be a nice gesture on our
part.
Any other suggestion for what we might be able to do for the Museum
along
the lines of "Thank you for your support, here's what we'd like to do to

show our appreciation" are welcome.

5)  We found that single troops don't like to stand up by themselves,
especially when carrying large and heavy weaponry.  We found that
attaching
each troop to a 4x4 plate, and adding some texture/plant life to it,
makes
for some easy-to-use, great-looking pieces.

6)  If you so desire, there are some simple Word documents I typed up
that
might be useful in keeping track of your troops and equipment.  One page

has information on two vehicles, the other has space for information on
three troops.  They are at:

http://web.mit.edu/~sullis3/public/brikwar1.doc
http://web.mit.edu/~sullis3/public/brikwar2.doc

7)  Even if building these sort of creations isn't "your bag", please
feel free to come anyways if you'd like to play!  I have a whole pile of
vehicles and troops I know I will not be able to use, and I'm sure
others will as well!  Please don't rule yourself out on that account!

shaun