Re: NELUG Castle Display at TCS Brainstorm...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 14:28:11 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, Suzanne D. Rich writes:
Eric Kingsley wrote:

In lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, David Eaton writes:
I think what I'm going to start trying for are some houses-- white, tan,
brown and black houses... I'm also trying to decide on what to do with all
my grey... I'm thinking I might start working on a LARGE castle wall, built
partially over a landscape (slight hills)... currently, I have no idea how
high, but I'm thinking of it being about 2 bricks thick, and just using
grey bricks, without using castle wall sections (unless I use them in a
tower or something where a window might actually belong)... I'll also try
and make it have hinges so it can bend at slight angles-- (I can even put
some bends into the hillside with the green tiles I got in 7171 (Mos Espa)!
That might look cool...)

Sounds very cool!  We definitly need houses for the common folk.[...]

Hi guys,

I have one two-story plus attic medieval townhouse built. I want to try to
make a few hovels next. (Those are pits in the ground with a crude roof
overhead.)

Ooohh!  The hovels sound really cool.  Can't wait to see how to tackle that
one.  The townhouse sounds great too.

I've got quite a few peasant characters and some livestock in crude pens.

I've got a very large collection of tree-building parts. (if anyone would like
to help with those, they're welcome over for a mini-build-fest.)

Well I am always up for building.  It seems I am always building alone except
for when I get the chance to build with my 5 year old nephiew and that is more
play than building which is cool but I love the building part.  So anyway I
would love to try and have some sort of "mini-build-fest".  Plus I like
building trees a lot.  Unfortunately it will probably have to be "mini" just
because I don't think any of us has a hugh amount of room at our homes and the
thought of trekking boxes of LEGO to a "neutral" site seems daunting.

This is why we need a NELUG Clubhouse!  There I go dreaming again... But it is
a good dream and something I would love for members to at least keep in the
back of their minds so that when we get 200+ members and the potential for
enough capital to consider such an endevore that we can at least talk about it.
(Plus 200+ members is not all that far off if membership keeps up at its
current rate).

I built a fragment of new castle (about 24x32) that's like a lookout post,
built into craggy rock.

Anyway, I don't know if I'll have the grey needed to span 3-5 feet with
what I'm planning (rough guess at the perimiter's length with angles &
bends), so if I think I need help making the complete wall, I'll specify a
standard to go by that people can build modules for? Unless someone else
would like to build the walls in their entirety?

Well if you don't have enough I still have almost all of my 2x gray bricks
available and sorted from the Rebel Base that is now disassembled.  Thats
over 700 Gray 2x4 bricks alone so I think we will have plenty of bricks if
need be.
Maybe that is something for some sort of build fest using only my bricks
after you develop a standard wall height etc?

I've got a full bucket + of gray 1xn's. Also many, many tiny 1x3?,1x4 gray
arch bricks. And...

Well, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I've got a pretty huge collection
here to build from. So, once you've gotten some pictures of the style and a
general plan, I (or I with help) can build sections of what you need.

Ditto for me (although I don't have arches in quantity) but if the wall is
built out of standard gray bricks I can definitly do a section or two.

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/