 Organizations / United States / NCLUG / 228
Re: Skirts for Tables at GATS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nclug, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Wed, 23 May 2001 19:25:33 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nclug, John Neal writes:

sheree rosenkrantz wrote:

I would appreciate any information on skirts for tables at GATS-

1)any rules or guidelines which must be followed- fire retardant?

We were required to use fire retardant  skirting at one of our (GMLTC) shows,
but I don't think GATS specifically required it.  It's not a bad idea to just
go ahead and do it anyway, just in case:-)

I'm uncertain as where to find fire retardant yardage to buy.   I am
guessing it would be fairly expensive.  Did I read in a past post to Lugnet
about a final rinse in Borax adding fire retardant properties to fabric.  Is
this correct? Does anyone have any information about this?

2)style and manner of attachment to tables

We use velcro (and we thank the aliens who brought us this wonderful
technology;-)

I like velcro.  72' of it might up  our cost consierably.  Attaching  to the
underside lip would eliminate any problems we might have about plexiglass
and clamps, but a skirt attached to the underside could not be continuous
due to the division of the tables?  I really need to see our tables... I
could be very wrong about this...
How is the velco attached your tables- stapled ? tacked? other?
I am assuming the other portion of the velcro is sewn to the fabric?
I also assumed it was the entire lenght of the top edge?  Is this the case
or is it in patches of x lenght spaced y distance apart?

3)materials and cost

Ah, well, a wife of one of the members generously custom made ours.  Cost
would depend upon how much skirting you'd need, I suppose.

4)opinions and experience on usefulness of skirts at a display

I think that they are *well* worth the investment.  They really enhance the
appearance of the layout, and provide covered space for storing boxes, etc,
under the modules (so as out of public view).  As far as usefulness goes,
skirting is a pain, but it adds so much in terms of making a layout look good
that I would highly recommend to every club to utilize it.

I think the skirts add greatly to the appearance of the layout.  I am not
sure if we can get it done in time for our first GATS show.  I know if the
group decides to go this way after balencing cost and appearance I will do
my best to make it happen...

5)links to pictures of skirted tables at train shows

Links to our display at the Kidvention (pics by J-1)

thank you! More treats!  i know I must have looked at them when they first
appeared, but now I will revisit them with more of a purpose.

I welcome any further thought you might have time to share...

NCLUG/NCLTC will be displaying at GATS near the end of June.  We are
exploring the idea and feasibility of skirting our newly built PNLTC style
tables.  Any advice or detail regarding this will be helpful.

Just Skirt it! :-)

Ah... a new motto... I can't decide if it's more like Nike's "Just do It!"
or J-L Picard's "Make it sew"

sheree

-John

tia