Re: We have alot of posts in MichLUGs history
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.michlug
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2001 19:49:03 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.michlug, Rick Hallman writes:
We've barely been around a 6 months and we have more posts then all the
other LUGs (Not TrainLUGS) in the U.S.A. Except NELUG and WAMALUG. Do we
just have a more organized way or our we just psoting useless bunches? Just
thought I would tell ya we have alot of posts for our little existance.

Call it youthful enthusiasm if you wish.  Or maybe Michigan was a LEGO hotbed
that just needed someone to bring everyone together.

Another thing to consider is that many groups have private mailing lists and
prefer using those to posting publicly on LUGNET.  Other groups simply arn't as
active as others.

From a NELUG perspective we use both LUGNET and a private mailing list but we
encourage the use of LUGNET except where a low key approach is needed.  I can
say that our activity has been consistant and has even been increasing
recently.  Lately we have been having at least 1 meeting a month and
occasionally even more often.  We consistantly have 15-20 people at meetings
and have over 100 on our mailing list so we are pretty active.  We also have an
essential ingrediant to having an active group and that is a core group that
enjoys organizing meetings and events.  These 6 or 7 people are what keeps us
active and I am sure the other active LUG's have similar people.

It also helps that we have a great local LEGO store ( The Construction Site )
which is directly across the street from a restaurant that lets us have our own
room on weeknights.  This makes it very easy to set up and it is an enjoyable
environment for us.

One unfortunate side effect of having such a successful group is that we have
outgrown being able to meeting in peoples homes except for special meetings
like Brikwars which usually draws about 10 people.  This makes it hard for us
to have building sessions.

Either way its a blast,  MichLUG might not keep up its torid pace but I think
it has a healthy core group which should keep it consistantly active for quite
a long time.

Good luck and congrats on a successful group,

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/